Thread: Some new pens

Some new pens

Good morning turners!

Here are 6 pens I have turned in the last few weeks with 3 of them yesterday. I needed to get some in the little shop I sell at here in town as there is a big festival this weekend where the block off the street and go nuts selling stuff! Lots of different woods and materials. The cigar pen is black walnut with the grain perpendicular to the tubes, bullet pen with deer horn, there are 2 that are made from a manufactured countertop material that is made here in town called "TRUSTONE" it is a cultured marble and some of it is hard to turn as it has some real limestone in it so I have to use carbide to cut it, they are the 2 speckled ones. The 2 tone is corian and has a pearl green band in the middle. That one and one of the brown speckled ones are made with slimline kits but not using the center band so the pens are thcker all the way through. This works our real nice! The last one is dyed ash with lacquer finish, all the rest are sanded to 800 and buffed on the lathe with a one step plastic polish I got from PSI, and it works very well!

Had fun with them and more to come inbetween other projects, working on a group of ten little aspen pots and a baby cradle and on and on!! No rest for the weary!

Thanks,

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Nice job they all look really nice and appealing. I would buy them
    -=Jason=-

Everyone is excellent to look at. I am sure they are sellers. I have not yet done a corian pen. My question is what do you use to glue the segments in.??? I see the green and white which is a great combination. Can you see the seams??? What size is the material that you are using??? How do you finish that material??? Thanks for showing.
    John T.

Beautiful pens Jeff! Best of luck with your sales this weekend!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Those are beauties Jeff and should sell well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job Jeff. I really like the walnut and the green ash pens.

Mike
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Happy sales to you, Jeff!

Very nice work. The perpendicular walnut is my favorite. I don't have much luck trying that.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Thanks!

I don't turn enough of them but love to do so! John, the corian is glued with MED CA and if you sand the sides to be glued at fit them together well before glue up it only takes seconds for it to set up so you have to be sure when you stick them together. The corian I use is 1/2" thick and I glue it up into whatever size I need for the pens. The cultured marble comes in random thicknesses and is a lot more pourous than the corian. But it can be made into just about any color you can think of! I asked them to pour some left overs into plastic bottles to see if I could get a larger piece.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Those are really beautiful pens, Jeff! Bet you had fun making 'em!

Nice looking pens. Great job.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings