Thread: SawBlade Purchase

Question SawBlade Purchase

Looking to purchase a decent combination blade and dado set for my new contractor saw. I don't use my tools enough to justify the expensive (> $150) blades. Any sugestions on blades in the $50 -75 range? Thanks for the help.

Frued was having a massive sale on their dado sets at one time and it would fit your budget beautifully. Others here got them so hopefully they will post when/where/how much but it was a steal.

As far as regular blades, you'll find a lot of good manufacturers in your price range: CMT, Frued, some Forrest, Amana, etc.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Paul,

I use the Freud combo blade and have been very satisfied with it. I use the SD608 super Dado, and would imagine that the SD606 is every bit as good.

Enjoy,
    Denny

I have been using the SystiMatic combination blades for years now and have had very good luck with them. Actually two of them. I keep one on the saw and the other clean and then swap them out when the one in use starts getting dirty. they cost about $50 each.
    I have a review of this blade at the link below.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/sysiblade.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

I'm very happy with my Freud 80 tooth fine tooth and 50 tooth combo blades. Bath are available at Home Depot and Lowes.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Lightbulb Saw blades

Paul,

I use the much touted Forrest WWII, about $105 though you may find it for less. On the expensive side but worth every penny. It does it all well. Since you have a contractor's saw, consider strongly a thin kerf blade. Due to the thinner cut it needs less power for the same performance. Less saw dust to boot. My WWII is a thin kerf and I love it. There is a thread here that discusses some quality issues during a period of time. Find that thread just to be fully informed and you'll see in there the name of an excellent rep.

Finewoodworking has a detailed blade review in issue #155. The Forrest came out on top. Oldham 100W40 and Everlast AGP1040 or tk1040 are good values. Another trick I seen several places is to buy a decent less expensive blade (like the Oldham) and send it to Forrest for sharpening. Check this site: www.thewoodshop.20m.com/sawblades.htm they say "The primary advantage of the Forrest blade is in its sharpening. Most sharpening services do their final grind/hone at 400 grit. For cabinet making, you really want your blade sharpened and honed to 600 grit. Several sharpening services (Forrest and Ridge to name two) sharpen/hone to 600 grit. As a test, I sent my Systematic blade to Forrest for sharpening and it cut as well as the WWII."

As to dado sets Forrest and Frued seem to come out on top, but they may be out of your price range ($250) I don't know much off-hand about any less expensive sets. The Avenger brand I've seen on Amazon (Tool Crib) has gotten good reviews at $75.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other advice. Enjoy your new saw!
    Ken Waag

Paul,
    Ive heard mnay perfer thin kerf with a con. saw. I use full kerf with my cab saw. i hace como blades by Freud and CMT. I also spin a Forrest WW2 ( I do not want open that can worms). They are all good blades. I get a little better cut with the Freud than the CMT but it is close. The CMT is a little larger if that make a diffrence. I have a few systymatic blades and like them too, no combo though. Systematic they might be the best bargin. Dennis Peacock has had good luck with Ammana blades also a bargin and Scott Whiting a good guy to deal with if that is the directior you are headed in. my dado is CMT and does a fine job even in oak ply. Lots of floks use the Freud dados and swear by them. I think a good sharpening service is as important as a good blade. Good luck and you should be able to find a good combp blade for > $50 I think that there are fewer dogs out there than good blades. Dive in and let us know how you do. Before you know you will have moere blades taht you thought you would need. maybe that is just me.
    Good Luck,
    Joe

Hey Ken,

How do you go about getting Forrest to sharpen blades? My quickie Google didn't yield much yet I hear everyone and their auntie doing this. Shipping might be tough from the left coast, though.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    How do you go about getting Forrest to sharpen blades? My quickie Google didn't yield much yet I hear everyone and their auntie doing this. Shipping might be tough from the left coast, though.
    The address to send the blade is on their web site... http://forrest.woodmall.com . Shipping cost isn't so much of an issue as shipping time from the left coat. You might also want to try Scott's Sharpening Service near Phoenix. He reportedly does an excellent job and also hangs out on some of the forums helping folks out with blade questions. Nice guy. I met him at a Phoenix area "luncheon" a couple years ago when Dr. SWMBO and I were in the area on vacation.