Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA road trip for cherry

PA road trip for cherry

All,
    I live in Iowa and looking to make a road trip to PA for some cherry Lumber. I'm looking for those small mills that only locals seem to know about, Not the big mills like hearne. Basically looking for Nice PA cherry at good price. The lumber can be green for dry. I will drive anywhere in PA if the Price and material are right.

Thanks,

Bryan

I used to live outside Pittsburgh and there was a dealer north of town, perhaps in Beaver County near the town of Mars (I had a friend there who always introduced himself as: "Hi, I'm from Mars."). Sorry, I cannot remember the name of the place,but they has good material.

Hi Bryan
    I live in Reading,Pa. about 50 miles NW of Philadelphia. There is a place in Fleetwood, not far from here called Fleetwood Lumber And Flooring. It is a father and son operation,there website is www.fleetwoodlumber.com they wood have what you are looking for.
    Jeff Koller

There is the place I mentioned it the last wood thread
    Rorabaugh Lumber Co

Burnside, PA 15721
    • (814) 845-2277
    they have good prices on kiln dried.

There's also a mill in Brockway, Pa close to my house. They mainly sell to major furniture maker and can only sell wood of a certain length. so if you don't mind 6ft'er and green you can get it for .40 a bf. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you the phone number.

Bob

Good morning Bob, I would love to have a contact on 6' undried cherry, could you please give me the # too? thanks

Now thats the price I'm looking for.

Bob,
    Yes please, 6' and green is no problem especially at that price.

Blog Entries
    I get my lumber kiln dried and dimension from Summit Hardwoods They are located in NW PA and they are just about 5 miles south of I-90. All their lumber is dimensioned and free of knots and checks. Check out their price list, but give them a call as cherry is the popular wood right now and supplies are hard to find. They will set your order up for you if you give them advance notice. They deal mostly with builders using dimensioned materials and trim.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you can make your way to the middle of the state,

give Harold, "The Lumber Guy" a call. His number is 717-567-9263 or you can e-mail him at hlmsr@ptd.net . He lives in Duncannon and has really good pricing on choice material. He will sell it green or add $.35 per bdft for kiln drying. I only buy Red Oak from him (@$1.65 per bdft dried) but it is top notch material with no skimping on thickness. If you do call him, tell him I sent you. Shouldn't hurt your cause any.

Ed
    Come on in friend, here's what you'll find
    A well used shop where you can rest your mind
    The beer's cold and the wood is dry
    We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hosford View Post
    Bob,
    Yes please, 6' and green is no problem especially at that price.
    Guys sorry it will be monday til I can get the number, I have to pick up the local trade magazine. It's always in there

Bob

Sandy Pond Hardwoods
    921A Lancaster Pike
    Quarryville PA

Now, I know you said that you will go anywhere in PA, but I am about 35 minutes south of PA near the thinest part of Western MD. We have a couple of mills around here. There is a local one that I use, one guy, one saw (band saw type). He will kiln dry, air dry, or probably even give you green. Great guy. I've brought him wood from my property to sell to him, and also to cut and dry for me. I would highly recommend him. If you are interested, I'd be happy to PM you with his name and number. BTW, how much and what sizes do you want/need?
    I drink, therefore I am.

http://www.irionlumber.com/

Very well regarded.

Not in PA, it will save you some gas. Prices online

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/index.html

I called up Baird Bros before and they only sell milled products, custom and generic. They do not sell rough lumber, green or not :P

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Gerber View Post
    Not in PA, it will save you some gas. Prices online

http://www.bairdbrothers.com/index.html

http://www.horizonevolutions.com/

might be worth a try

Scott