Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotary Question

Thanks. If I could be bothered I should update it to contain a speech bubble with swearing; and also an arrow pointing to the x-motor error. Or not. Probably safest with the SMC TOS if you imagine your own swearing.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. Darren, I was going to download your CDR of the spacer,but I keep getting an address not found error. Is that the correct address that is listed or has it been updated since it was posted? Would love to try that out and see if that doesn't make quite a few things easier for us.

Thanks,

John
    John & Alicia Love
    Pinnacle M series 40 Watt Laser
    Coreldraw X3, Photograv V2_11,
    an old handsaw and a garage full of toys.
    4 Kids (3 girls one boy), 4 grandkids, a Bloodhound, St. Bernard and a boxer.
    The dogs own the place and allow us to live with them.

I Like kids... I just can't eat a whole one
    Save the whales... Collect the whole set
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works if its open

The cdr was attached to the board, but it was a while ago. Must have been 'housekept'. I made another one for you. Tis easy enough. The circles should be the rim of your glass size + a little bit (couple of mm- enough that you get a grip, not so much that it's another thing for your head to thwock). The 50mm spacing should do you for most things.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-21-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Darren, That is awesome, I really appreciate it. I was trying to figure out when I was going to have time today to design a spacer, so you really came through. Funny, today is my day off, but I am busier than I normally am when I work. No rest for the wicked.

John =)
    John & Alicia Love

No prob. The spacer cdr is for 3mm thick material (I'm in europe and we do all the millipedes and centipedes measurements here). It's very +- friendly, so you can just burn the cdr with imperial stuff...the only thing you have to be careful of is getting the slots in the round bits symmetrical- everything else is open to interpretation and using your ninja senses in a "that'll do" fashion.

Thanks a million, Darren! We modified the spacer by sizing it down to the diameter we needed and adjusted the holes then used wood glue to put it together and felt on the ends...it worked like a charm! I did, however, earn myself one x motor error *insert swearing here*... My fault though, since I have not had the best luck with the rotary before and I actually managed to get the very first glass in there and position it correctly the first time without wasting a glass. Sounds great, right? But then I tempted the laser gods by patting myself vigorously on the back while I left the room to go get the other three glasses I needed. I came back just in time to hear that awful thwack and panic as I wondered if the glass broke when it fell out of the rotary. What happened was that it did just fine on the top edge where we had the spacer, but when it finished engraving the head moves all the way to the right side of the table...it couldn't clear the other side of the rotary attachment. The good news is that I saw what happened and was able to prevent it on the other 3 glasses by standing there with my finger on the stop button and pressing it the instant I saw the machine stop engraving and start moving to the right.

The glasses came out beautifully, I'll post pics after John gets home from work and tells me what he did with the cable to connect the camera to the computer! Again, many thanks for the help!

~Alicia
    John & Alicia Love