Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dyed Maple Hollow Form

Steve, I really like the color combination on this one. You've got the tones flowing well around the piece and it really complements the form.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Steve,
    Very beautiful HF. I really like what you do with the DYE on your bowls. It sets them apart from other turners. The finish looks like it has already been buffed. I am going to have to try some of the Wipe On Poly and see if I can come close to your finish with it.
    Jack

? for Steve

Steve,
    Any certain ratio or just package directions?

Thanks,

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Great product. Well done. I keep thinking of juicy sour apples when viewing your work but Ken's phrase about "your form is on the money" got me thinking: what if it isnt apple green but dollar green? Hmmmm, nice twist, huh?
    Norm

Green with envy!

Steve, Being that green is the color of money, it looks like this one in destined for a monetary transaction! I love the color green also an am drawn to it always! The thing I like about dying wood is that it brings out the flash between the end grain and the flat grain sort of like a saphire! Thanks for showing it to us and inspiring us all!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Steve!

Another keeper Steve. A great way to dress up plain maple.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Roy, nothing special.

I use a 1" foam brush, one of those small plastic margarine containers, dump in about 1/2 teaspoon of the powdered dye and mix with DNA. What I've found is that the DNA does not dissolve all of the powder - so adding an amount greater than 1/2 teaspoon doesn't accomplish anything. Also, using DNA as the liquid means you have to work pretty fast as it evaporates quickly. When that happens, I just add a little more DNA to the container and it dissolves most of the remaining granules.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You keep raising the bar!
    At this rate, I will never catch up. Great piece of art.
    Terry

Wow, the combination of the dyes gave it an emerald look. That's really pretty! Then your meticulous patience for finish really tops it off. Another beauty Steve.

That's a beautiful piece Steve, the color you achieved is stunning. Nice work.

Steve,
    Beautiful work!
    Do you wait intil the piece is dry before you dye it?

Wow... you had to dig to find this post! Ha Ha! I only dye the wood at the very last stages of finishing a piece. So, in this case the wood was roughed out green, soaked in denatured alcohol (DNA) and then, once dry, it was finish turned, sanded and then dyed.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well I'm glad he dug it up! I have been thinking about some green dyed pieces seeing that most of my "violet" attempts have come out green. I figure someone is trying to tell me something! So it's nice to see this one right about now...
    David DeCristoforo