Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: decline of the history channel

decline of the history channel

i'm sure i'm not the only one that used to watch the usually interesting historical documentary type stuff on the history channel, and i'll bet i'm not the only one that has noticed how it has deteriorated into an endless stream of conspiracy theory BS recently.

nostradamus codes in the bible?
    crystal skulls predicting armageddon?

what horse****.

the two mentioned above even had "experts" presented with no verifiable expertise, but who did dress up like indiana jones including the hat.

whoever they hired to produce this crap, hopefully they wake up soon and fire them so we can get back to it being a decent documentary channel on the HD tier you can watch when there's no football on .
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 09-19-2009 at 3:35 AM.

+1--------------

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post

nostradamus codes in the bible?
    crystal skulls predicting armageddon?
    It's because of December 21, 2012

"Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan is an excellent read into the phenomenon of what you are noticing on History Channel.
    He demonstrates quite convincingly that the human intellect is PROGRAMMED for that kind of stuff.

History Channel is tapping into surefire ratings that cannot fail. Kinda like giving water to millions of people dying a thirst.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Genovesi View Post
    It's because of December 21, 2012
    I was told by the street preacher that May, 2011 was the end. And he was holding a bible!
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I enjoyed a comment Jay Leno made on Sept 28 several years ago: "On this date in 1939 the Nazi's invaded Poland, thus creating The History Channel."

I don't watch the History channel much anymore, and the new Jay Leno show is awful. Thanks to NBC, I have more time for woodworking!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It’s all the gang/prison crap that I hate on HC. I couldn’t care less about those scum bags.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I think they are just trying to draw people away from all those amazingly foolish reality shows and of course, American Idol. Well let me tell you, that's it for me. From now on I'm only going to read my facts in print. Anybody know when the latest edition of Weekly World News or the National Enquirer hits the stands .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    It’s all the gang/prison crap that I hate on HC. I couldn’t care less about those scum bags.
    Gee, I kind of like the gang/prison shows. It's always cool to spot people that you know....

Hc

I agree to some extent. The History Channel brought me back to TV years ago when THC, TLC, Discovery were all good to go. Now its hit and miss on all of them. I have truly enjoyed the "Dogfights" series on the Military Channel(?).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers, Rory

Agreed...History has gone downhill fast, as have most of the "educational" channels on tv. How many shows does one really need about killer asteroids, megavolcanoes, spotting bigfoot, or medical freaks of nature?

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    the two mentioned above even had "experts" presented with no verifiable expertise, but who did dress up like indiana jones including the hat.
    As long as they have the right hats, no problem!

I remember my parents and others of their generation complaining about the decline of _______ (art, music, books, etc.) and I'm sure they had the same experience with their parents. It seems like the older we get, the flaws in the world seem more obvious. Maybe we're more aware of the trivialities or maybe, as Neal says, things really are going downhill. Probably a combination of both. My $0.02 only.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry nazard View Post
    Gee, I kind of like the gang/prison shows. It's always cool to spot people that you know....
    You really need to get some new friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Joe View Post
    Agreed...History has gone downhill fast, as have most of the "educational" channels on tv. How many shows does one really need about killer asteroids, megavolcanoes, spotting bigfoot, or medical freaks of nature?
    You nailed it, Matthew! I'm always complaining about the same thing. Not long ago, I could almost always turn on History Channel and find something interesting. Now it's just a TV tabloid.

I don't think this is like older people complaning about the decline of art forms. This is a tangible, verifiable decline. There's a big difference between previous programs like "The Dark Ages" and current programs like "UFO Stories".

I do still find some good programs on National Geographic Channel and Science Channel. Of course, one has to pony up an extra $10 a month to get those channels. Wait a minute. Maybe that's the objective here...

Blog Entries
    Me, too! I have had enough of UFOs, monster hunts, gangs, and tattoos. I really enjoyed the series sponsored by Enterprise about the Eenterprise and the dogfight series. Now about all I watch is R. Lee and his shoot'em up show.