Thread: Just Got my Latest Toy-Nichols Rest!!

Just Got my Latest Toy-Nichols Rest!!

I Just finished unpacking my latest toy/purchase: a Steady Rest made by Jeff Nichols. I have one that he made for me back in Columbia, but to be honest, all I did was look at it. This one's going to work no later than Monday.
    What shocks me is how well made and sturdy it is. I hope that I don't give him any ideas about pricing, but the darn thing costs less than most chucks, and many a fancy bowl gouge. I don't know how he does it, but I'm sure glad that he does.
    We had a demonstration of the McNaughton coring system and the demonstrator-a fantastic artist-Fred Thompson said that on the big stuff, he doesn't trust a chuck, but uses a heavy face plate. On the Oneway system, you can use the tail stock to help. I'm thinking that a steady rest like Jeff's would help tremendously with coring and deep hollowing.
    Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    I Just finished unpacking my latest toy/purchase: a Steady Rest made by Jeff Nichols. I have one that he made for me back in Columbia, but to be honest, all I did was look at it. This one's going to work no later than Monday.
    What shocks me is how well made and sturdy it is. I hope that I don't give him any ideas about pricing, but the darn thing costs less than most chucks, and many a fancy bowl gouge. I don't know how he does it, but I'm sure glad that he does.
    We had a demonstration of the McNaughton coring system and the demonstrator-a fantastic artist-Fred Thompson said that on the big stuff, he doesn't trust a chuck, but uses a heavy face plate. On the Oneway system, you can use the tail stock to help. I'm thinking that a steady rest like Jeff's would help tremendously with coring and deep hollowing.
    Regards, Hilel.
    Hilel, Thanks for the good words on my rests! I love to make them and hope that everyone who has one uses the heck out of them! I love to share my knowledge and skills with anyone who wants it and the steady rests are just one of the ways to do so! The only thing is that you spelled my last name wrong! It is a normal thing though it has been happening to me for all of my life! I will even spell it for them as they write it down and the still add letters in. It is just not a normal spelling, just like your name I bet more than once you have called "SALMON" and you don't look andything like a fish!

Thanks again my friend and put it to work and show us your creations!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Nichols rest

Hello evaboddy,
    Yes, I ordered one of those about a week ago, and cant wait to receive it. Peppermills are stacking up for boring around here. Members of the turning club are envious of me for getting one. Dont email me after I get it for a while, I will be too busy using it. Max

Hilel - congrats on your new rest! A photo of it - in use on your lathe - would be appreciated! Did you get the custom painted model or the engraved version? (just kidding Jeff!)

Jeff does some nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats Hilel. Lets see a picture of it on the lathe at work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    Hello evaboddy,
    Yes, I ordered one of those about a week ago, and cant wait to receive it. Peppermills are stacking up for boring around here. Members of the turning club are envious of me for getting one. Dont email me after I get it for a while, I will be too busy using it. Max
    Harvey, It is painted and I just have to make the bottom plate and it will be ready to go! Will go out on Monday! I am on my way to the shop to finish it up as I have had a ton of requests for info today so it could get crazy again! Lots of fun as I love to weld as much as I love to turn!

Thanks,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Nichols Rest

No Pressure, Jeff. Just saw where someone else ordered one, and had to chime in. Max

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    where can I get information on the rests?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Herrmann View Post
    where can I get information on the rests?

Joe

Click in Jeff's name and the drop down shows a link to his website.
    1060 Miles Southwest of Steve Schlumpf