Thread: New 15 in planer and Rearranging...

New 15 in planer and Rearranging...

Hmmm...Got this new 15 in powermatic planer for 700$ off CL...Runs great...Was it a good deal??

Anyway, I have a dilemma that I need some insight into....I have seen lots of pics in magazines and books with the planer and jointer side by side. In my case that would mean that I need it in an island.

These pics are what I am going to be doing unless you guys can change my mind...I an outlet behind the jointer that is 220V and the garage is 30 x 40...I am trying to put my shop in a 20 x 30 space and leave the rest for storage and such. The problem is that I have to turn the planer backwards to get it reach the outlet on the wall. Can I change the cord out and make it about 3 feet longer without causing a problem?? If so, is it hard?

The problem with the way it is now is that I have the dust collection for the planer open to the shop and the jointer will behind. I am so indecisive and can use any suggestions.

Thanks In Advance,

John G

Sorry...forgot the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a great deal on that planer. I have the same planer, paid 700 used. What I did was put a 20 foot cord in 12 gauge wire. That way I can rearrange the planer if I need to move it farther away from a 220 outlet. It is fairly easy to do.

Blog Entries
    The only suggestion I have is what you already stated; in practice I go from the jointer directly to the planer. Having to do much more than turn around to set the wood just jointed in position to be planed would get old really fast.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Guys...I will definitley get that motor wired with a longer cord..That will make life sooo much easier...I hate complicated. Building furniture is complicated enough without the workshop getting in your way.

John G