Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck questions

Chuck questions

I have a pre-China Nova 3000, 1.5hp DC VS lathe and need a couple of additional chucks for light work.
    Nova G3? $144.99

Woodcraft: WoodRiver chuck with tommy bars? $86.50

Tommy bars work for me, but, are jaw sets interchangeable?

Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

I will also be watching for your answer.
    With the woodcraft sale coming up, could get a good deal, if they are worth it.
    Terry

Ernie I went thru the same thing. Needed a extra chuck for some light work and didn't want to buy another Vicmarc VM 100. I finally ended up with the $99 chucks from Grizzly and found they were a clone of the Vic 100. All the Vic jaws fit them so I bought 3 more because I am to lazy to change jaws. Been using them for 2 yrs now with no problems.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There is a guy on e-bay goes under woodworker specialties that sells Nova Chucks. He is out of Canada and right now you can get a G3 with insert and free shipping for $125. It is a great chuck. I got one from him a long while back and it made it from Canada to South Texas in less than a week. I use my G3 and SN2 on my DVR XP and the performance of both has been exceptional.

I also do not believe that the Wood River jaws interchange with Nova.

Good Luck

Alan

Bing Rebate

The $125 G3 package on eBay may also qualify for the 8% Bing rebate.

Steve

Ditto what Bernie said. Have two of the Griz chucks and would buy another if I needed it and had spare $$.
    Richard in Wimberley

I got my G3 from the e-bay guy. If you already have a Nova, the jaws should all interchange. I also just got my W/C flyer and they have the Supernova for $156. I picked up the Nova Midi last sale at W/C $99 with 3 jaw sets. Tommy bars aren't as handy as the G3 is.
    I have no other experience with chucks, except that I used a Oneway once. WOW, what a great chuck.

I can't find the $125 deal on EBay. Does anyone have the link?
    David

David,

Here is the ebay item number. 400065069811 or if you just search Nova G3 that is the first thing that comes up. they get angry here at the Creek if you post a direct link to ebay even if it is not a auction. This is a buy it now.

Alan

Over on the deals page, there is a post about the oneway chucks on sale at home depot. It is only online. It sounds like a great deal. Can you interchange nova jaws with the oneway chucks?
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

I've bought 2 nova chucks from Bob (ebay guy) over the years and have been totally satisfied with him. I also have 2 of the grizz chucks that Bernie mentioned and they are great chucks for the price...Bill..

I just received my new flier from Woodcraft today and starting Sept. 30th they have the Super Nova2 on sale for 139.99 but you also have to buy the insert for it. They also have the Nova DVR and the Nova 1624-44 on sale for 500.00 off. they are 1699.99 and 899.99 respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Newton View Post
    Over on the deals page, there is a post about the oneway chucks on sale at home depot. It is only online. It sounds like a great deal. Can you interchange nova jaws with the oneway chucks?
    Oneway jaws do not interchange with Nova jaws. Oneway Talon and Oneway Stronghold jaws do not interchange. (It is possible to put some Vicmarc jaws on a stronghold with adapters.) All of the Nova jaws do interchange on Nova chucks (except for the Titan Powergrip jaws). Nova jaws interchange with the Sorby Patriot chucks. Grizzly interchanges with Vicmarc in some combinations. Nothing interchanges with the Woodriver or Barracuda jaws.

1 for woodriver chuck

You can buy the jaws for it for less than 30 dollars. I have been using mine for over a year and not a problem one. I also have the grizzly still in the box, hope to get it out in the next week as I want to use my Vicmarc flat jaws with it to finish a bowl I'm working on now. I will let you know how that works, but if you want a good light chuck the woodcraft will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
    I just received my new flier from Woodcraft today and starting Sept. 30th they have the Super Nova2 on sale for 139.99 but you also have to buy the insert for it. They also have the Nova DVR and the Nova 1624-44 on sale for 500.00 off. they are 1699.99 and 899.99 respectively.
    Wow, 159 for the chuck and 1008/1897 for the lathes in Hawaii....