Thread: dodging blotches in maple

Question dodging blotches in maple

I need to dye or stain a maple table to a brownish red color, but i've been hearing horror stories about maple's tendency to blotch pretty badly. I'd really like to use an oil based poly as a top coat. so I guess the acute question is:
    can i use a clear sealer of some sort before the dye/stain to keep the blotching at bay? what works best?
    thanks guys....

Blog Entries
    I use very thin Zinsser's Seal Coat dewaxed shellac for that. Maple is still a pain for me but less so when sealed. I get best results on maple when the color is a dye and it is sprayed. I don't get as much visual depth, but it is more even.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This is interesting since I'm working with Maple too. I'm using Zinnser's sanding sealer as well but now I can't get the color as dark as I would like using Watco's red mahogany Danish Oil. I'm thinking of tinting the seal coat to see if that will help me get it darker. What do you think?

Watco is an oil/varnish & stain blend... it is not intended to go on sealed wood.

Tinting the seal coat would be the correct step. This is known as a toner.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.