Thread: Longboard skateboard

Longboard skateboard

I built this board so that I could ride with my son, although he has all but taken ownership for himself. I thought about laminating a deck using some bamboo panels that I have left over, but ultimately decided to start with an old-school solid wood platform. I used up some VG fir leftovers, and threw in a couple of strips of sapele for contrast. The fir is light and stiff, but soft enough to shape easily.

I jointed and planed the rough blank until it had a slight flex with my weight when placed on some scrap where the wheels would mount. Just enough spring for a comfortable ride. I mocked up the curves with cardboard and further refined it at the bandsaw. I used a 40 grit flapwheel to dish out the top surface by a few mm, and to round the bottom edges by the same amount, leaving the truck mounting areas flat. The grip tape is strips of 3M non-slip from the corner hardware store, though next time, I think I'll use grit sifted over a clear finish. Trucks are some 10" wide Alpine Gulwings ($30 on craigslist, incl. wheels and bearings). Wheelbase is 28", which is moderately long.

It rides really well, and might just need to be reiterated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 09-21-2009 at 4:31 PM.
    JR

Very cool!

Now that's a project I WANT to do!

lol...I'll bet your son has laid claim to that board...now you've just got to build yourself one to ride.

I've been out of the loop and this just might be a good build to get me back in the mode.

Very nice, I like the contrasting wood

My local hardwood dealer has a skateboard "kit" for longboards. It's essentially just ready to laminate sheets. At the time when I was standing there I thought "well this is a pain in the butt I'm not going to bother to do". But the more that I think about it, the more I say "well maybe".

Might be able to make something really pretty with alternating laminate finishes or something. Probably for the wall mroe than for the street, as I'm not a longboard guy.

Blog Entries
    Nice job. Brings back memories of my younger days. I rember trying to bend a skateboard tail by soaking it in water and parking my dads car on it. I too had Gulwing trucks on that board.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Very cool. I remember when the plastic wheels came in to replace the steel ones. Fiberglass was also replacing wood at that time.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

It has been a good 25 years since I had a skateboard. I never really liked the skinny plastic/fiberglass deck and little wheels - too much tiny gravel to stop you. Not to mention that my skate balance was never very good. These newer longboard trucks and wheels are way easy to ride. The big and soft rubber wheels roll over all kinds of junk and the wide spread is easy to balance and turn. I wish that these were around my area when I was a kid!
    JR

Very neat project and it will be fun to ride. That will definitely turn some heads on the street. Riding will come back quickly. It had been about 15 years for me and I just recently bought a new one and it is amazing how much your feet remember - once you get over the "what I am about to try just might hurt ... a lot" fear that is.

Totally narly dude......

Irv

I know about as little as can be known about skateboarding, so I can't comment on much of the spcifics, but that's a sweet looking board.

Color contrast is smooth but has character. To hear it rides well just completes the package.

I don't know if I would let your son take ownership of this one.

Well done.

T
    Please try to explain what you think you don't understand!!

Very nice board. The strips of sapele look like stringers on a classic long board. Don't forget your helmet before going out and ripping it up.

It rides really well, and might just need to be reiterated.
    . . . And, like so many others have already said, it LOOKS GREAT too! I hope to copy your idea so I can get out on the street with my son (the long board is certainly one way of possibly preventing the broken neck that's sure to follow).

Great job.

Jeff
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Nice build.. fun project and I bet your approval rating took a major jump with your son's freinds.. not that you need their approval but...

That just looks fun sitting there propped up...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

This really brings back memories. I started building wood laminate and hand laid fiberglass skateboards when I was in middle school in the late 70's. Pretty soon through word of mouth I had a full scale business selling boards to kids at school. I even went as far as to get an account with "Tracker Trucks" and "Road Rider" wheels at the time and started selling complete boards. Got to the point where I stocked inventory of about 20 trucks and 100 wheels. I would get home from school and lay a few coats of glass and shape other boards from the days before. We would also put a tropical fabric in the top layer of clear resin for some boards.

Really was my first business.

After two knee surgeries now, I'll stay off the skate boards :-) Very cool though.