Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What chain saw to buy?

Another vote for the Stihl Farm Boss. If you go to their site, there is a video that shows the saw cutting and throwing up so much sawdust that it just about hides the saw. The video isn't lying, as mine does that quite often. I cut Pinyon Pine that just kills most other saws and the Stihl just keeps on cutting. Get a 20" bar and you can handle most stuff that you would use for firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Saar View Post

....less than 24" with the occasional tree that's between 24-36 inches.
    Husky or Stihl. Echo is known for lightweight arborist saws which it does best.

Husky's are slightly lighter than Stihl's for the same power and are favored by fallers, while the heavier and slightly more rugged Stihls by buckers and sawyers that don't have to carry the saw as far in the woods.

You can live with a middlin size Stihl or Husky with a 20" bar.

My bucking saw.....an older large Stihl 046 with a 32" bar and hop-up kit. The older, all-steel 9:1 Homelite saw now runs a winch.

A faller colleague with a big Husky.

More Husky's.

My one-handed arborist Echo with 12" bar and the brake removed. Don't try this at home.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 09-21-2009 at 11:36 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

There are lots of good brands. Most pro's use either Stihl, Husky, or Dolmar.

Echo also makes a good consumer saw.

One of the best things to do is to find out which brand has the best local dealer support, and then buy that brand of saw. Forget the BORG's, instead try to find a good chainsaw or small equipment shop that services what they sell, and seek their advice and buy from them. You might pay a few bucks more, but it will come back to you in the long run with their service and support.

Don't "over-bar" your saw - it will cut slower, the chains cost more, and you'll end up with an aching back from not only lugging the extra weight, but also having to lift up slighly on the saw to keep from bogging down the bar. A 16" - 20" bar is usually ideal for most non-professional work.

One key to saw longevity - don't use fuel/oil mix that is older than 30 days, as the oil tends to break down and lose it's lubricating qualities (synthetic 2-cycle oil mixes last longer though).

One tip about the Stihl saws - those with the "white" handle are commercial models; those with an "orange" handle are consumer models.

Another tip for any saw - it will cut best if you have a sharp chain and keep it that way, and it is much quicker to sharpen if it is not excessively dull.

I just purchased a Husky 346XP w/18" bar about two months ago. I think it's a fantastic saw for a fantastic price. I basically use it for cutting up trees for blanks. I feel the 18" bar seems to be a pretty good size for what I'm doing. It's definitely a beast the cuts wood like butter.
    chris

LOL! A Husky saw with a Stihl bar guard! The Husky Rancher is a good saw and the equivelent of the Stihl Farm boss.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you have any more pictures of that chainsaw running a winch? I've thought of running a bumper mounted winch to skid logs up a hillside. I have an old Homelite 650 that could do the job, but what are you mounting the saw on?

Chainsaw

Here's another vote for the Stihl farm boss. I've had mine for about four years now and it never balks at cutting osage orange, as long as the chain is sharp.

I have the Stihl 190? (one step down from the farm boss). I think it's 16" bar, great for smaller trees and brush and odd jobs. It sits most of the time in the garage, but fires up on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time!! I keep it clean, the chain sharp and covered and about 1/2 tank of gas. Original plug and chain after about 5 years. No complaints. A couple friends have Stihls, I borrowed one and had to buy one myself.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    One of the best things to do is to find out which brand has the best local dealer support, and then buy that brand of saw. Forget the BORG's, instead try to find a good chainsaw or small equipment shop that services what they sell, and seek their advice and buy from them. You might pay a few bucks more, but it will come back to you in the long run with their service and support.

This times 1000! And at least at my local Stihl dealer, a lot of times minor service and support ends up being free, so the price difference is pretty much a wash.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

9. We have had a Stihl 023 since 1992. We have cut many trees and many ricks of wood- no problems other than wearing out lots of chains.

We went with a solid tip Oregon bar and ditched the safety chain- it slows down cutting too much.

Bought a smaller MS180 in 2004, its a good saw as well, is a little finicky about starting and I hate the safety chain

Quote Originally Posted by william scott View Post

....do you have any more pictures of that chainsaw running a winch? I've thought of running a bumper mounted winch to skid logs up a hillside. I have an old Homelite 650 that could do the job, but what are you mounting the saw on?

The small chainsaw winch has its uses, but skidding logs of any size isn't one of them. Mostly it's used to roll logs where a peavy can't. Tunnel beneath the log, run the cable beneath, up the front side and hammer the hook into the log. The winch is then chained to an anchor and the cable and hook roll the log. Here the old, dark chain attaches the hook to the cable and the shiny new chain is bolted to the winch body as an anchor.

A bumper-mounted winch will skid logs providing you can get some elevation on the front end of the log. That's where the turning block strapped at head height to a tree comes into play.

Last....try to buy commercial-grade saws. They can be rebuilt when required very economically. I have an article over on Woodcentral on rebuilding this old Farm Boss with new piston and head after my 85-yr-old FIL mixed up his cans and used the wrong fuel. A tough saw, but they have their limits.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 09-22-2009 at 2:14 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Another name to consider is Jonsered. Although they are corporate (Electrolux) bed-partners with Husqvarna.

Consider using a premium 2-cycle oil, my father-in-law swears by the Amsoil mix and his "junker" Craftsman saw runs awfully good. I grew up with my dad owning a couple of Jonsered saws and I've used both Stihl and Husqvarna saws. Couldn't go wrong with those names.

This thread got me thinking I ought to get a saw myself for homeowner projects. But like the OP, I will go straight to top shelf names, no Poulan, etc. for me. I'll probably go the Jonsered route since that what Dad has. I find myself doing more and more "just like him." I even mow with a LawnBoy and bag it - just like I did every week as a kid! Yikes!

I know I said it before, but I'm gonna say it again. I own a Stihl and love it. My point about the Poulan is that if all you are going to do is make some cuts for WW projects, a 20" Poulan will more than do the job for 1/2 the price. They are actually quite dependable, too. I would not liken the Poulan to buying cheap HF stuff and cursing the whole time you are using it. Unless, maybe, if you cut wood 8 hours a day. The saws start easily, are dependable and cut as fast (or at least nearly as fast) as the nice saws. Precision is not what you are buying a chainsaw for, so it is not like buying a cheap TS for occasional cuts. Or a cheap wrench that won't grip the head of a nut because it keeps "opening" up. Grrrrrr, I've had that one happen, never again... As long as you keep your chain sharp, even the Poulan will hold its own. Like I said, I ran a Poulan 20" for 8 years, cutting 4 cords of oak and locust a year. That said, the Stihl IS more comfortable, and less taxing on the body to run for an extended period of time.
    I drink, therefore I am.

You want a chainsaw that will cut anything? Here ya go.
    http://sixpacktech.blogspot.com/2007...chainsaws.html
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks Bob, that gives me a few ideas. I wouldn't be skidding logs of any great size, just Pinyon up out of draws and gullies. It isn't much fun trying to carry cuttings of any size up a hill at 7500 ft.! The Pinyons aren't tall enough to rig a skyline, so I've been scratching my head as to how to work a winch at ground level. I think I may have a way to do that now.

My family is into logging and Huskvarna has been the saw of choice. I have a 365 which is 4.6 hp with a 20" bar and does a very good job on hardwood firewood. Some of the trees that I take off my property, which won't be logs due to bad spots, are around 30".

Of course, my dad has two "hydraulic" chain saws. A 490 John Deere with Rollie II head and a John Deere 1225. They have air conditioning, heat, radio and operate thru joy sticks. My dad actually cut his firewood to 16" lengths with the 490 this year. He is only 73 and goes to work every weekday.