Thread: What kind of plywood?

What kind of plywood?

I'm going to take down our Mahogany front door and put it level on horses while I sand it and put that Marine finish the recent FWW found to be the best. That's 6 coats (and that stuff wasn't cheap). Probably take me at least several days or up to a week. While the door is down I plan to put up an identical measured piece of plywood, try to cover it with plastic to keep out rain so the type of plywood shouldn't matter. But we've got rain forecast for the next days and if it gets wet that shouldn't matter for just a few days...right? Just checking.

I duck tape plastic to the plywood and use it as long as needed. haven't seen a problem. Probably wouldn't use that nice piece of cabinet grade hardwood plywood I've been saving, but plytanium (sp?) from the borg works fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what finish are you using? My wife was just fuming on how unwell her finish was holding up on our front door...

It won't matter for even a few months.

I've used regular d-fir 4x4's - not pressure treated - as raised bed garden frames. For 2 years, they survived being on the ground, horizontally, with earth packed up against 2 sides, with daily watering through the summer season, and snow and whatever during the winter.

4. I don't think it would make much difference which plywood you use, but you might want to use an exterior grade.

You will like that varnish. I used it about 4 years ago on some white oak garden chairs and this spring I noticed that the front edge of the seat slat needed to be re-varnished. Other than that it was fine. It is great stuff.
    Tipp City, Ohio

Don, unless you have a non-standard door size, what about stopping by a local Habitat for Humanity resale store and buying an inexpensive exterior door? That way it's not only weatherproof, but you can also reinstall your door locks, etc and actually use the door while the other one is being refinished.

You can probably pick up a scratched or dented door for twenty bucks or so.

OSB... cheap and effective.

We're using the Epifanes ultra UV filter varnish. 6 coates of the clear and one semi over that. And there is a Habitat for Humanity close by, I've donated some stuff there and picked up some. Hadn't thought about that, might be nice to have a door in place, wouldn't have to worry about as many things. Will have to check that out. The "creek" is the best and the people on it are great. Thanks for the input people.

MDO (medium density overlay) plywood works great for exterior applications like that and won't required any plastic wrap. It's slightly more expensive than ACX, but less expensive than most other types. It has a medium-brown resin-impregnated kraft-paper skin on both sides that is much like melamine, though less durable. It's primary application is for external signs, since it has a very smooth, uniform surface, and excellent weather-resistance.

I used some MDO for temporary fully-exposed gates for two years. They stayed flat and looked as good when I took them down as when I put them up. I did nothing to treat/protect the edges, and there were no signs of delamination.

MDO plywood isn't carried everywhere. I got mine from the local supplier for cabinet shops. Ask a local sign company for a source if you don't find one immediately.

I have the same project coming up. For those that go with plywood, how do you temporarily install it?

Just bumping it up for one more shot at a reply.

Thanks.

John,

I received a PM from Don a couple of days ago. He checked out Habitat for Humanity for a deal on a door, but they were too proud of it. He ended up buying an interior door slab from the BORG for 19 bucks, and was planning to mount it using his original hinges.

For 19 bucks, you couldn't buy the plywood and this way he still has an operating door.

Thanks Scott. Good info.