Thread: Anyone know about the Grizzly moulders?

Anyone know about the Grizzly moulders?

I have the job to recreating the mouldings for a 1770s house and am considering which horizontal moulder to buy.

I used to have a Woodmaster but don't want to get something that big again.
    Of course there is the Williams and Hussey machine but I wondered if the Grizzly machines were any good.
    I will need to have custom knives made - although I can make them myself if need be.

Anyone have an opinion?

Virgil

I have the shopfox clone of the W&H with VS and it has done an excellent job on every molding project I have worked on. I run alot of 1" 3/4 cove and small crown for cabinets out of oak, maple & hickory and I love it. No problems at all............

I second the ShopFox machine, there is a large group of us here that own them and I haven't heard a complaint yet.

The ShopFox looks like a nice machine.
    Grizzy says they are running a special on it at $1400 plus shipping.

I take it when the specs say 3/4" it means the cutters bites into the wood up to a depth of 3/4" of an inch.

Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil Johnson View Post
    The ShopFox looks like a nice machine.
    Grizzy says they are running a special on it at $1400 plus shipping.

I take it when the specs say 3/4" it means the cutters bites into the wood up to a depth of 3/4" of an inch.

Virgil
    Yup, 3/4" maximum depth in a single pass. They don't recommend multi pass but it does work. W&H has multi pass retro fit kits, not sure if they work on the SHop Fox. That 3/4" depth is a theoretical maximum, but on some wide mouldings with much of the profile that deep you may need to remove some of the material with a dado or by other means before molding.

I have the shop fox in my home shop and use the W&H a bit at work. I'd rate my shop fox as good as the W&H in terms of performance, but I can't speak to longevity as I have only had mine a bit over a year, no long runs yet. The iron table on the new Shop Fox looks like a nice upgrade.

Can I get custom cutters made for the Shopfox.
    Are cutters interchangeable between different brands?

Virgil

Cutters

I buy all my cutters from W & H. and they work just fine in my shop fox moulder.

Shopfox it is then.

Thanks all.

Virgil

Most any decent tooling grinder can make up knives for the Shop Fox, they are the same geometry as the W&H. If you have a shaper you can also get knives made that have the hole pattern for the molder and corrugated backs to run on a shaper in a moulder head. That will let you run and rip straights on the shaper, which can be easier for some small mouldings than the SHop Fox, but run curved work or ellipses on the SHop Fox, which is safer than in a cradle on the shaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Most any decent tooling grinder can make up knives for the Shop Fox, they are the same geometry as the W&H. If you have a shaper you can also get knives made that have the hole pattern for the molder and corrugated backs to run on a shaper in a moulder head. That will let you run and rip straights on the shaper, which can be easier for some small mouldings than the SHop Fox, but run curved work or ellipses on the SHop Fox, which is safer than in a cradle on the shaper.
    Good idea.
    I will take advantage of that technique.
    Thanks.

Virgil