Thread: Which to buy husky 455rancher,Stihl MS210/MS029/MS170 or?

Which to buy husky 455rancher,Stihl MS210/MS029/MS170 or?

I've a $300 ish budget for a saw. I have been saving for over a year and kept my eye out for a used saw, but haven't had much luck. Would these saws be enough for cutting out bowl blanks? Should I just keep saving for another year or so for great saw?

I can get the husky for about 300, the farm boss for about the same, the smaller saws for about 200-250.
    Last edited by James K Peterson; 09-23-2009 at 2:12 PM.

I've got the Stihl MS210. It's a very good saw, but I could probably should have bought an 18" saw instead. It has never disappointed me, starts right up every time. The only thing that I don't like about it, and this may apply to all of the Stihl saws is the cap for the bar oil. It was a real PIA to close. It has a lever/handle that releases it, and I swear that I spent 30 minutes trying to close it the first time.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

I'd go Stihl

James,
    If it were my $300, I would buy the most Stihl saw I could. I have a 260 Pro,(about twice your budget) that I use for fire wood cutting. It will take a 16" to 20" bar, and so far has cut a few things that I probably should have had a bigger bar for. My family has burned wood for supplimental heat for the past twenty-five years or so, always had at least one stihl saw. Our current "big" saw is about 20 years old and is just now starting to act like it wants to retire. Other brands may be cheaper for the same size, or bigger for the same cost, but you'll be hard pressed to get them to match the longevity of the Stihl.

Steve

Just 4 miles north and a touch east of Normal
    (check your maps)

I got the Stihl MS290 with 20" bar - plenty of power and bar length for my needs. I cut up a bunch of 20" plus maple this weekend and the saw handled it all with ease. The oil cap on mine is pretty straight forward. The only issue I have is with the on/off/choke switch - the air filter cover holds this mechanism in place somehow so if you mess with that switch while the cover is off, the whole mechanism pops out. I've been back to the dealer twice now to have them re-install the mechanism properly. I think I finally have the hang of it now though and don't foresee any more probelms with it.

I agree with the previous poster - buy the biggest/best Stihl model you can afford and you will never regret it. As you are driving around town, notice the tree trimming trucks. You will be hard pressed to find one that isn't using Stihl saws.
    Last edited by Dave Schell; 09-23-2009 at 1:20 PM.

Heck-----here's the biggie for me these days------Service or the lack of.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

They both make great saws. You cannot go wrong with either one . Be sure there is a locale shop that can look at it if something should go wrong ( big box stores are not much help in that area) I use a 245 Husky and an older electric in the shop . Professionally used Sachs (Dolmar) for higher chain speed)) for years in the woods ( Long time ago). I like the Huskey and got it on sale from the dealer locally that sells/services both, of course it helps to live in high timber country....well use to be anyway. and as Tim says " MORE POWER " is always better.
    Last edited by Paul Engle; 09-23-2009 at 3:03 PM. Reason: correction
    John 3:16

Husky 455

I just purchased the Husky rancher. The major factor is that it was on sale. I have a few friends that have Huskies and they love them. I have been impressed with mine so far. I have ripped a few birch logs and they cut like butter. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either Stihl or Husky
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

James,
    If you are young and/or strong, buy the biggest you can afford (at least up to a 20" bar). If not so strong or have back trouble like many of us, consider the weight of each saw you are looking at. I bought a smaller saw (Echo w/ 18" bar) than I really wanted, knowing that my back would not take the stress of using a larger, heavier saw. In retrospect my decision was the right one. Use Stabil or other fuel stabilizer in the fuel all year.
    Richard in Wimberley

Farm Boss. Get the best Stihl you can afford.

The Husky 455 will work but it weighs a ton. That weight does matter if you have to carry the saw for any period of time. The pro saws have more power and less weight than the consumer level saws.

A similar discussion is taking place in the General Woodworking forum -
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120804

May be some additional input that might be helpful.

I have a Stihl 017-14" bar. Not a big saw by any means but does a nice job for me. Cut up some logs about 15" across and yes had to go from both sides but no problem. Also split the logs for the bowl blanks with no trouble. Bigger would be nicer but this saw does a pretty good job, just wont handle big diameter logs.
    Last edited by Steve Mawson; 09-24-2009 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Wrong model number

I have a 55 Rancher but the Stihl Farm Boss would be a good choice, too. Unless you intend to be sawing all day, the weight difference is unimportant.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Neither

I wouldn't buy either of those saws (290 or 455). Both are overweight. But of the two the Husqvarna is a more refined product (between those two models). The 290 is long in the tooth with a plastic composite crankcase (as opposed to magnesium), no compression release, and the anti-vibe isn't as good.

That said there are other options out there too. Jonsered (basically a red Husqvarna), Dolmar/Makita, Solo, Efco, Echo, Shindaiwa are all worth considering. Stihl and Husqvarna are the two giants, but the others offer saws as good or better and it widens your options in looking for a saw, especially used. Don't laugh, but the newer John Deere and Cub Cadet saws are Efco saws rebadged for them and would be a great saw if you can find one. "no names" like that don't command the price that a Stihl does.

The Efco 152 is about the same price as the 290 and is more than 2 pounds lighter with more refined features, and almost as much HP. Power to weight is much higher for the Efco. A Husqvarna 353, if you can find one, is very similar and would be my first choice, but I think it was discontinued recently and replaced with another model, probably due to continued tightening of emissions requirements. The 359 is also a great saw to look for, and they still make it (though a new one is well over your budget). But the 353 was a favorite among a lot of people.

Dealer support is a consideration, but all of those will be serviceable by a local shop. Bailey's online (www.baileysonline.com) is a good place to go to get some info and shop prices and supplies.

Also go by Home Despot and ask about their rental saws for sale. They sell their Makita saws for a fair price and they turn them over with minimal hours on them. Makita owns Dolmar which is a top-line German saw.

I have the Stihl MS 310. It has handled anything I have needed. A really rugged saw.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.