Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official SS gloat & 1st results(pics)

Official SS gloat & 1st results(pics)

I got the Dewalt setup and running! Granted, I have nothing to really compare it to, because I've never really done any scroll work, but I had heard the thing is really smooth. My limited experience, thus far, indicates that the thing is really smooth! Well built and solid. I did have a bit of an issue with the stand, not being real steady. The instructions tell you to bolt it to the floor, but I didn't want to go poking more holes in the concrete. I found that if the back of the stand is somehow steadied, it works fine. So, I just rammed a couple 4" blocks into a plywood backer on the wall immediately behind the SS and made sure they rest right up against either side of the stand. Result: Steady as she goes!

While it's going to take a LOT of practice, I have already found myself with positive results on my first mini-project. Just a simple hanging ornament. Like I said, I still need a bunch of time on the machine and I'm hoping I may be able to take a short class or something on it. Sure is nice to be able to fire up a WW machine and get positive results without having to be standing! A few more mini projects to get the feel of it and I'll try to talk my daughter into giving it a go! I think she'd enjoy it! Thanks for looking and allowing me to share!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

hey John, that looks pretty good! That scroll sawing looks addicting! Congrats on the new scroll saw and I hope to see more of your work soon.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very cool Dude, Another adventure.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Very kewel...you're a natural!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great fast results

John. Great work for a "beginner". You're not a beginner to woodworking ,only to this phase of it and already you're producing great results. Sorry to hear about your temporary setback where sitting is better . Enjoy this new direction and soon you'll be back using that new (hard earned) Forrest blade. Take care,

Great start John, you will get the hang of it sooner then you think.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

That looks great John! Keep it up. Now you'll find lots of uses for all the wood scraps you have lying around.

Once my wife and son saw my scroll saw in action they couldn't wait to try it.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Thumbs up Great Start

John, Great beginning. Keep us posted on your progress.
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

Looks Great John!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Nice John. I would guess the ss would open up another aspect of woodworking.

Bob
    bob m

And he is off and running----Looks great John.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

12. John, nice work. A friend of mine who is a scrollsawyer also prefers to sit to do his work. One thing he has done to save his back as he has a tendency to lean forward so that he looks more directly down on the work is to elevate the back of the machine. He says this allows him to have a better line of sight without bending over as much. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to pics of your first intarsia project.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Nice work, John. You got the hang of that thing real quick.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Thumbs up

Great work John !!
    haven't used my scrollsaw in a while but there fun!
    I also built my makeshift stand where I can sit and work .
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    John, nice work. A friend of mine who is a scrollsawyer also prefers to sit to do his work. One thing he has done to save his back as he has a tendency to lean forward so that he looks more directly down on the work is to elevate the back of the machine. He says this allows him to have a better line of sight without bending over as much. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to pics of your first intarsia project.
    I'll second the sitting while scroll sawing, so set up your environment to allow it. You can literally spend hours at a time sitting at the saw.

Michael, thanks for the idea of elevating the back of the saw. I hadn't thought of that before, but it does sound like it would make for a more comfortable posture.

Cheers,

-- Ian