Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shiraz Balolia and Southbend lathes

Shiraz Balolia and Southbend lathes

I was reading on the web (so take this for what it's worth) that Shiraz Balolia is going to bring back to life the South Bend Lathe co. I am not a machinist but find that interesting.

http://www.southbendlathe.com/

http://www.mmsonline.com/news/legacy...duct-line.aspx
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It looks like SBL built metal lathes.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It looks like SBL built metal lathes.....

They did and I own two of them. They were an industry leader for many, many years.

Good News!

It took me twenty years to find an SB9 metal lathe in pristine condition with all the attachments but I found one five years ago. The leather belt drive is my safety net that keeps me from getting hurt when I do something stupid, I keep the belt a tad lose so it can slip. This is a great metal lathe for an amateur metal turner.

Not many know that the South Bend lathes were instrumental in making parts for the war effort in WWII.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-24-2009 at 5:38 AM.

I have a heavy 10 SBL that has the Navy emblem stamped at the end of the bed. I think it made the Korean War era because the serial number dates it as being made in the late 40's or early 50's. I keep looking for a 17 inch SBL that is in pristine condition and has a lot of tooling. My heavy 10 has a leather belt and as Keith wrote, the slipping belt has saved me a couple of times.
    I have read that SBL had been purchased, hope they copy the quality.
    David B

And it will be manufactured in Taiwan---sheesh . I,m sure it'll be some great machinery, but come on! Why isn't it feasible to keep manufacturing here? Most companies, or individuals, that would by these high-end machines (I'm assuming they are high-end) would likely be able to afford the cost should they be made in the US. That is of course if retail price is one of the driving factors of manufacturing this line off-shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Not many know that the South Bend lathes were instrumental in making parts for the war effort in WWII.
    Kind of ironic that the new ones have Japanese or German bearings according to the article.

It will be interesting to see the new smaller lathes when they come out to see if they are South Bends manufactured in Taiwan or Grizzlys with a different paint job. It looks like that is the case with the bigger ones, but that's just at a quick glance.

Matt,

The way I read the article they will be SBLs manufactured in Taiwan.

Ed.......the company was defunct. So Shiraz bought the company. Someone made money on the deal. Get over it. When it becomes as economically feasible to manufacture things here in the US, they will be manufactured here. Companies either make a profit or go out of business.
    Ken

Matt,

Ed.......the company was defunct. So Shiraz bought the company. Someone made money on the deal. Get over it. When it becomes as economically feasible to manufacture things here in the US, they will be manufactured here. Companies either make a profit or go out of business.
    Sorry Ken, at the risk of being banned by you, I'll have say, I will not "Get over it".

Matt,

Hi Ken, I partially agree with your argument.

If price is the only objective, then yes offshore will probably be less expensive every time.

If however, you include quality and country of origin in your purchasing objectives then the results change.

Our fascination with cheap, at the expense of everything else, is devastating over the long term.

Looking back at my parents, they had less possessions than we do now, however the items they purchased were bought because they felt that they gave good value. That didn't mean cheapest, that meant a high quality, repairable, extremely long life product.

50 years later, the GE chrome toaster that they received as a wedding present, made great toast. The cord had been replaced a few times, thus avoiding a trip to the landfill.

Our parents weren't cheap, they were frugal.

My generation seems to have miss understood, and confused frugal with cheap.

That's what we have now, an enormous amount of cheap, short life-cycle objects that are destroying our environment and our financial security.

So yes, South Bend will be made in Taiwan, however just like a General International machine isn't a General, a new SB lathe won't be a South Bend.

And since we do have the power to make selections based upon more advanced criteria than price, we could perhaps support a South Bend lathe that once again wears a "Made in USA" sticker.

Regards, Rod.

Up until several years ago SB would sell you parts or refurbish your old lathe. A friend looked into it since his SB was in pretty rough shape. The prices they wanted for parts & service were astronomical! You could have bought several new Tiawan lathes for what they wanted to refurbish his 10" SB.

Another thing to consider is the market for a high quality small manual lathe, it doesn't exist in the industrial world today. Even in the private sector it's a small niche market.
    In todays industrial toolroom CNC machines are the standard, not the exception.

Example: http://www.haascnc.com/details.asp?I...LatheTreeModel

Ed

Ed,

You have no risk at being banned for that comment. You have every right to disagree with a Moderator as long as you do it within the limitations of the TOSs.

It's an economic fact, however.

Companies make money or go out of business. When expenses.....taxes...payroll...workers benefits.....materials....shipping.....expenses... .become too great a company is no longer profitable ....it will go out of business or move somewhere else where it can be more profitable. That's the facts. You can't ignore them...they won't go away.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bamba View Post
    And it will be manufactured in Taiwan---sheesh . I,m sure it'll be some great machinery, but come on! Why isn't it feasible to keep manufacturing here? Most companies, or individuals, that would by these high-end machines (I'm assuming they are high-end) would likely be able to afford the cost should they be made in the US. That is of course if retail price is one of the driving factors of manufacturing this line off-shore.
    One of the main reasons that manufacturing has been leaving the U.S. is purchasing decisions like this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bamba View Post
    I have that exact same shaper (Grizzly 1.5hp shaper, which is not manufactured domestically) . I bought it at an estate sale (never used) and was missing all three spindles and the fence assembly.
    Not only did this purchasing decision fail to support U.S. manufacturing, but since it was a used machinery purchase, it also failed to support a U.S. retailer.

Getting back to the original topic, I think it's great that Shiraz is making this move. At least it keeps the South Bend Lathe Company going, and one more American business stays alive.
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 09-24-2009 at 9:26 AM.

Rod,

Again....I'd buy "Made in the USA" in a flash if I could within in reason.

It's not a good personal financial decision IMHO to pay several times more for something "Made in Canada" or "Made in the USA" just for that sake alone. If there is a significant difference in quality...maybe if it's something that requires that quality but to do it as a standard way of purchasing....no.

Those are decisions everyone makes everyday and probably doesn't think about it .....
    Ken

Yeah, saw that. What I meant by my comment is that I wonder if the smaller lathes they are going to sell will be identical to the Grizzlys with a different paint job or if they have access to the molds, prints, etc from the original SB lathes and will be reproducing those in Taiwan?

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't South Bend go out of business trying to make machinery in the US?
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-24-2009 at 9:49 AM.