Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a mint 1940s Unisaw worth?

746 watts, actually, but shaft horsepower is going to be dependent on motor efficiency, and the old R/I motors are only about 75% efficient. RI motors generate a lot more starting torque than capacitor start motors, so they will take short term abuse and feel more powerful, but a higher HP rated motor can pump out the power without bogging down or tripping out.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    I wouldn't word it like that, but I understand where Mike is coming from.
    Now see where I come from. Manufacturers, changed the way they rated HP, for advertising. One RUNNING HP, is different from one PEAK HP. When that happened, you would see things with 1/2 hp motors, then someone started advertising 1HP PEAK, so consumers who didn't research, started buying what they perceived as the more powerful motor/item.
    1 HP = 476 watts (if my memory serves me correctly), use that to compare.
    You could probably sell that old motor pretty quickly to a restorer, on something like the OWWM forum. IF/WHEN you see the need to upgrade (are you going to be cutting 3" lumber all day, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    746 watts, actually, but shaft horsepower is going to be dependent on motor efficiency, and the old R/I motors are only about 75% efficient.
    The HP rating is after the efficiency, so 1HP is 1HP, less efficient motors will draw more amps to get there. R/I motors draw less at startup than a modern cap motor though. R/I motors also have a very heavy wound rotor which helps to power through hard spots, etc. I haven't had any issues with bogging, but I don't put a lot of big stock though my TS either.

Pete

Pete's right. Motors are rated at shaft HP and not electrical power input power. RI motors also have greater starting torque than capacitor start motors but that advantage is somewhat wasted in a table saw because the saw starts up unloaded.

I think many RI motors use brushes and that's a maintenance issue. If someone is familiar with RI motors would you tell me if they do use brushes. I'm certainly not an RI motor expert.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Where has that thing been the last 60 years? Was it ever used?

The thing is, if you don't consider the power issue, that saw is a great buy at six hundred. The cast iron motor cover is a "hen's tooth"... hard to find and worth several hundred by itself. Also, according the the ad, the deal includes an original cast iron tennoning jig which is also a hen's tooth and worth another couple of hundred. I really don't see the reason to worry about the motor because unisaw motor bracketing has not changed in a century so you could easily drop in a bigger motor if you needed more power. For ninety percent of my work, that motor would be fine. The other ten percent would be an issue, no doubt. But still, for most "home" and many smaller commercial shops, that would be plenty of saw "as is".
    David DeCristoforo

So did you get it? I expect it was gone within a couple minutes of posting if that included the goose egg and the tenoning jig. Heck, that made the saw itself $200....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schwake View Post
    Here's the saw: http://tinyurl.com/Unisaw
    Only 1HP motor, is that a concern?

Thanks for your replies. Going to check it out later today.

Scott
    The tenoning jig is very nice and very heavy. I have one. I don't know about now days, but I saw one sell on ebay for $170 a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I really don't see the reason to worry about the motor because unisaw motor bracketing has not changed in a century so you could easily drop in a bigger motor if you needed more power.
    The mount hasn't changed, but the cabinet opening has. Machines with bullet motors won't fit a cap start motor without modification (at least if you want to tilt).

To Josiah, the 1 HP is measured after efficiency, so 1 HP is 1 HP, just some motors pull more amps to get there. The R/I motors have a heavy wound rotor which gives a nice flywheel effect through knots and such.

$600 poorer

Decided it was the saw for me after seeing it, I'll deal with the 1 HP later if it's an issue I guess. Makes my C-man seem like a toy, I can't believe how heavy this thing is!

It's currently wired for 110, any advantage to re-wire it for 220? My current saw runs 220, so I'm set up for it.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Absolutely run it on 220. And that "jet lock" rip fence has got to go! But other than that, all I can say is nice score. You are lucky it did not get bought out from under you...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schwake View Post
    Decided it was the saw for me after seeing it, I'll deal with the 1 HP later if it's an issue I guess. Makes my C-man seem like a toy, I can't believe how heavy this thing is!

It's currently wired for 110, any advantage to re-wire it for 220? My current saw runs 220, so I'm set up for it.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Scott

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on the fine purchase and YOU SUCK. You really paid for the accessories on the table top and motor cover and got the saw thrown in for free.

If your shop is wired for 220 rewire the motor to run on 220. Less current draw.

If that saw was in my neck of the woods it would have not lasted that long. I would done anything to have it in my workshop/garage. I would be getting rid of the PM66 that I just finished making pretty again.
    Last edited by Tom Slupek; 09-25-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Really a stunning piece of retro but totally usable equipment. Owning good machines like that one, knowing that it has a history, would put a smile on my face every time I use it.

Great score.

There's no reason to re wire for 220. If you do, be very careful as the leads will be very crispy. Minimize bending them as much as possible.

I find the original switch is really too far under the table. Definitely don't move it, but some people mount a starter on the front rail.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 09-25-2009 at 7:53 AM.

I used old Unisaws since 1963,and they were old. They did all I needed. The tennoning attachment was selling in classifieds here a while ago for $250.00. That looks like a very nice saw. You MAY have to change the arbor bearings if they've had the grease dry out,and the old Delta fence moves when you lock it. But,hey,I used 2 over 45 years at work or in school shop where I taught. It will do good work. Look in Neanderthal FAQ at the art deco table and jewelry box I made for my my wife. MANY angles.All done on an old Unisaw.

WOW. You definately suck. With the motor cover and that tenoning jig. And in single phase. It doesnt get any better than that.

I would check the arbor bearings as someone else suggested. Other than that, I dont see where you would need to do much else.