Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's using pre finished ply for kitchen boxes?

1. thanks everyone, solid advice!

Interesting, do you have the link of the manufacturer. Thanks........John

I like the 1/2" prefinished stuff for drawer boxes. Its a great selling point to the clients I meet with.

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

I use it too. With face frame construction, making the transition from the exterior finish (stained or painted) is quite easy. As far as exposed end panels are concerned, I just screw the exterior panel onto the prefinished interior panel, screwing from inside the cabinet. The challenge seems to be using prefinished material for the cabinet interiors with a painted finish on the exterior on frameless cabinets. In order to get a full overlay on the outside panel, pockets for the concealed door hinges have to be cut into the prefinished interior panels. It is somewhat labor intensive but getting the durability of the prefinished wood interiors, not to mention the appearance of real wood inside the cabinets, combined with not having to do any finishing inside the cabinets, justifies the extra effort. Plus, I hate melamine interiors. To me, it cheapens the cabinetry. When new, the fresh white (or almond, faux woodgrain, etc.) interiors look great. But melamine is not particularly durable. The surface can stain, and once the surface is damaged, such as by dropping something on it or scratching it, any contact between the now exposed particle board substrate and moisture can cause the particle board to swell like water to a brand new sponge.

Couldn't you just leave the backs off Jim , spray the cabinet assembled , do the back separately then install the back?

Or do you build a trapped back cabinet?

There's ways around just about every thing, and theres also some things that just can't be avoided.