Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multi axis goblet with captured ring

multi axis goblet with captured ring

The President's Challenge for the October Arizona Woodturners Association meeting is "Goblets". I've done my share of goblets and captured rings and wanted to do something a bit different. I knew I wanted to play with multi axis turning so I sketched out a few ideas and this one leapt out at me as something different, a bit of a challenge, but also something that I thought I could pull off.

It was turned on two parallel axes, this was accomplished by removing two jaws from the chuck so I could slide it from side to side. The captured ring was turned on the off center axis and is captured not only on the stem but is also captured between the transition points of the two axes.

I still have a bit of work to do, the base isn't complete yet, I still have to figure out how to do that. Comments/critiques/suggestions?

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

very cool, I always wondered how you sand something like this. Any insight on that?

sanding

One section at a time. Finish one before moving on to another, there's no going back.

wait a second, you sand one part all the way to your highest paper, then off center the wood and sand that part all the way until its finished. I would think you might accidentally use the low sand paper on the already finished part and ruin it.

Exactly right. There's not really much danger of sanding an already finished part with a course grit, it's turning on an off center axis at that point. Pretty tough to keep the sandpaper in contact with the section turning off center, even if you tried.

Neat piece Jason. Looks like you did an excellent job on the transition sections. I had trouble with those the one time I tried it. Which section did you turn first?
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard, I always turn goblets from the tailstock to the headstock. The goblet bowl was turned as was the first portion of the stem and the upper half of the first transition. Then the piece was moved off center and the bottom half of the first transition, captured ring, middle portion of the stem, and top half of the second transition were turned in that order. Finally the piece was moved back so the bowl was back on center so the bottom half of the second transition, bottom of the stem, and top of the base could be turned.

Jason

Great looking piece Jason. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very interesting goblet Jason! Always cool to see where someone can take an idea and bring it to life! You should do quite well with your competition!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Jason. I saved your message for ref. and think I will know how to do the transitions next time.
    Richard in Wimberley

I am still having trouble understanding how this was done. No matter this is one great piece. I look forward to seeing it finished, it really is amazing.

Quick tutorial

Steve, Here's a series of pictures that may help you visualize what's happening on each step.

1st photo - showing 2 of the jaws removed so the blank can be repositioned side to side for the multiple axes.

2nd photo - 1st position of the jaws marked, center line of primary axis indicated by the dotted line. Inside and outside of the bowl portion and the first section of the stem is turned.

3rd photo - Upper half of the first transition is turned.

4th photo - blank repositioned for the second axis. Second dotted line indicates the center of the secondary axis.

5th photo, bottom of first transition is turned, 1st part of the off axis stem.

Continued below.
    Last edited by Jason Clark2; 09-25-2009 at 8:28 PM.

Continued.

Photo 6 - Captured ring and majority of off-axis stem is turned.

Photo 7 - Top half of the second transition is turned.

Photo 8 - Blank shifted back to the primary axis.

Photo 9 - Bottom half of the second transition and first part of the base of the stem are turned.

Photo 10 - Base is turned and parted off.

Jason

Simple if you know how. Now who sells those turning blanks with the drawings on them?

Seriously, a skillful piece of work that would have been fairly easy to destroy at several points in the process. Did you mention the dimensions? Maybe I missed that.
    Richard in Wimberley

I know where you can get one

Finished size is about 2 1/2 x 9.

Jason