Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Lathe

New Lathe

The vortex is strong. I could not resist. I have wanted a dedicated bowl lathe since I first saw the VB36. I finally bought one from Craft Supplies. They are good people and offer great service. Craft Supplies used Estes Express Lines to ship the lathe. The driver was great. He put the thing inside my shop about 5 or 6 feet from where it is now bolted to the floor. That was a tremendous help. All I had to do was unpack it and set it in place with a engine hoist.

I have not had time to turn much on it yet. I tested it on a piece of 4"X4"X12" inch dry oak. I was able to reduce the 4X4 to a cylinder and then hollow it with a 1/2" depth drill and a scraper with no tail stock. There was no vibration at all and the lathe was not bolted to the floor when I tested it. I also turned some tool handles for thompson gouges and skews after I installed the tailstock. I am looking forward to trying this thing out on a few bowls this weekend if I feel better. I've been sick for the last three days but feel a bit better today.

Pics are posted below. Thanks for looking and thanks to the gang here at Sawmill Creek for all of the help I have received since I started turning.

VB36001.JPG VB36002.JPG
    Eugene in NC

Nice

Eugene;
    That is a very nice looking lathe. Many happy shavings!!

Mike
    "The cup of life's for him that drinks, and not for him that sips" - Robert Louis Stevenson

Eugene

nice looking machine. looking forwqard to pix of your work on it.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Eugene - WOW!!!! You must like this turning stuff as that is quite the lathe! Hope you feel better soon as this lathe must be screaming your name to come out and play! Quite the gloat! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some turnings as soon as you feel better!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I wish you were closer. I would love to try one of these monsters. BTW, nice gloat.

No Way! That is a dream machine, for sure! I know you'll love using that monster - you'll have to show us the work that comes off of it! Mike

Nice gloat! Have fun with that monster!

Eugene,

Thats awesome, looks like you are going to have a bunch of fun.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 09-25-2009 at 8:21 PM. Reason: spelling.

Eugene I would say you definitely fell into the black hole head first. Wow that is quite a machine. Congrats. Have fun and enjoy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow what a monster, a green monster. Congrats and many happy years of turning on the green monster.
    Last edited by Alan Tolchinsky; 09-25-2009 at 9:59 PM.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Eugene,
    WOW!! What an eye turner. That is a major gloat. Way to go.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

That's gotta make you feel better, just looking at it sitting there. Happy new lathe.
    Richard in Wimberley

I can't believe you feel sick with something like that in your shop. I think my mind would trick my body into feeling good just to get on the lathe.

Now that is a beauty! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes off of it. Get to feeling better fast...Bill...

That tool rest looks bigger than my first lathe! Nice gloat.