Thread: Good deal on MM16?

Question Good deal on MM16?

I would appreciate feedback and/or advice on the purchase of a used MM16 bandsaw.

I own a Jet 14” bandsaw and a large(r) bandsaw has been on my wish list for some time now. I recently came across a used MM 16 with a 4.8 hp motor for sale in my neighborhood and plan to go look at it tomorrow morning. The seller claims they have had it for only 2 years and he is asking $1800 for it. My first question is whether this is a reasonable price for a used MM16 (sure wish there was a ‘blue book’ for used power tools) and, if not, what would be a reasonable offer. My second question is what I should look for to determine how well the machine has been maintained, other than turning it on and cutting a piece of wood with it. Finally, are there any known issues with the MM16 that I should be aware of?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    roger

I bought my mm16 about 3 years ago. I think the original and regular (non sale ) price back then was around $2200-2300

Considering new ones sell for around $2900, and if this machine is lightly used/well maintained, I would buy it.

They are extremely well built. Since it has the 4.8 hp motor it is also the newer model that has 16 inch resaw capacity.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

i have an earlier generation mm16 and it's one of the best tools in the shop. have been told about and have read that later ones had some serious electrical switch problems - either the on/off switch or the safety switches (on the doors and the foot brake) not working well - might be worth an ask.
    jerry
    jerry

I have a 2 year old MM-16 and I paid $2600 plus shipping for it new.

I believe the power switch problem was resolved some time ago. Mine has not shown any problems.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is a steal on a MM16. I gave $2400 for a MM24 used (also a new style MM20). No regrets on doing that at all.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

too late...

Well, unfortunately I was too late and the MM16 sold. It couldn't be helped, as I was out of the country on business travel all last week and it apparently sold on Friday. Still, I want to thank everyone for their input - it only makes me want a MM16 even more now...

regards
    roger

mm16

Just call Sam Blasco in Austin TX tomorrow morning. Ask if they have a show special somewhere or if he knows of a good used one for sale. He can ship you a new one. YOU will not be disappointed, I love mine