Thread: Need help with how to glue this up

Need help with how to glue this up

How do I glue up for this one? I think it should be a fairly simple one to do but somehow it just isn't coming to me. I thought it would be a glue up as normal then just a cut and twist and reglue but it just isn't coming together for me. Anyone have a simple explaination? At school we've been doing plain straight glue ups but I saw this one and thought it would give the kids something different to try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks to be just turned off center....Or rather the center has been adjusted to create a bias orientation.

I agree

I have to agree with Chris on the way it was turned. If it were glued up on the bias the width of the bands where the are turned to the curve would stay pretty close to the same width they started. If it were glued up in horizontal rings, when turned you will notice that the bands are wider looking when there is more of a radius cut across the band. So it was most likely laid up horizontal and then oreinted on the lathe so the centers were at a 45 to the rings. It would be a real pain to glue up at the bias!

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It just seems to me like you'd be wasting so much wood to be offsetting the centers. We have been doing most of our turning on faceplates so I'm not sure how I'd work it out like that. Maybe I'll have to see if I can figure out how to glue it on the angle, but I know that's going to be a real trick. I know I'd like to get doing more between centers but I haven't figured out all the chuck stuff yet, guess I've got some to learn still.

Is anyone on here part of the SW Michigan woodturner group around Kalamazoo?

Roy,

If it hasn't been said, Welcome to SMC.

As mentioned, you could glue up the blank in usual horizontal fashion and then cut off the top and bottom at the chosen angle. That way the top and bottom would be essentially flat and parallel.

To avoid wasting wood, go segmented. Saves hogging all that wood out of the inside.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Roy,

If it hasn't been said, Welcome to SMC.

As mentioned, you could glue up the blank in usual horizontal fashion and then cut off the top and bottom at the chosen angle. That way the top and bottom would be essentially flat and parallel.

To avoid wasting wood, go segmented. Saves hogging all that wood out of the inside.
    Roy,
    Richard is correct in suggesting to segment the layers. If you look closely the rings are segmented in your example piece. That is the best layout to minimize waste wood, IMO. Good luck and enjoy whatever your form becomes.

Christopher

I believe Richard's assessment is correct. This kind of glue up design is more common in smaller stuff such as pens, bottle stoppers and rolling pins. It's even more popular in peppermills, such as the Pinky Martin style. It's not as common in larger turnings, probably because of the waste factor as previously mentioned.