Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida V-3000 vs Clear Vue CV1800

Oneida V-3000 vs Clear Vue CV1800

I'm looking at buying a cyclone system and I need some advice. This is for my residential basement workshop. (Table saw with overhead dust collection; 14" band saw; jointer; planer; router). Shop size is 20 x 35. I'm not looking to run machines simulaneously.

I've really enjoyed the work of Bill Pentz and the ideas and research behind the Clear Vue product. I'm also a tad annoyed that Oneida has shut down their mini cyclone product for the time being. So I'm probably biased towards the Clear Vue. I've heard nothing but great reviews on their service. That said, I have question marks about the mdf and plastic construction of the Clear Vue. Also, it looks like there is a heck of alot more work for installation with the Clear Vue. Also I notice that Oneida has a hepa filter deal (down to 0.2 microns 99.9%!!) currently.

The Oneida V-3000 is supposedly alot quieter than the Clear Vue. The Oneida V-3000 is a 3hp unit vs the 5 hp Clear Vue. I guess that is both good and bad (Clear Vue is more powerful and more expensive to run and louder).

What about you folks? Does anyone have experience with the Oneida? Any advice would be helpful!

thanks
    Glen

I just went through a similar decision. In the end, I just couldn't get over the "homebrew" aspect of the CV, especially the assembly.

I don't think the noise aspect is as big a deal as you may think. They're *all* loud.

I looked at Oneida, CV, and Grizzly for over a year and finally decided on the Grizzly 3hp cyclone. I've been very pleased with it, especially after I built an enclosure. The dB level went from the high 80s to the mid-70s (measured 2' from the top of the filter, the loudest point on the machine).

The Clearvue installation is very simple and straightforward. It's a Saturday afternoon's worth of work. Maybe all day because you'll have to take a couple of trips to Home Depot for a trashcan, weatherstripping, etc. The most difficult parts are:

- Lifting the motor onto the mount. I did it by myself and it was VERY difficult. It would be childs play with two people.

- Building the cleanout. This isn't so much difficult as much as it must be precise if you build it according to the instructions. Were I to do it again, I would build the cleanout 1/8" short, and then shim it to the perfect height. As it is, I have a perfect fit and had to struggle to get everything into place. I also didn't bother to make a lid for the cleanout. I only go in there every couple of months. I just sealed it up with some aluminum duct tape. It takes a second to peal off when I want to get in there, and about 30 seconds to tape back up when I'm done. Way more convenient than unscrewing a lid IMHO.

If I were to do it again, I would also build the trash can lid and seal the trash can before doing anything else. The sealent will be practically cured by that evening, and you'll be running in the morning. I made it so the trash can is a bit short as well, and it sits on 2 or 3 sheets of plywood. This makes it much easier to empty the can. Remove the plywood, trash can drops to the floor and slips right out. Much easier than struggling with the flex tubing.

If I ever needed another dust collection system, I would absolutely buy another Clearvue. Knowing what I know now about the installation, I'm sure I could have it installed and running in a few hours. It looks like a lot of parts, but it all just falls together with very little fiddling. You'll have to build a mounting bracket. I built and hung mine in 20 minutes from scrap 2X4 and plywood.

Glenn, I can't speak to either of these models, but I can say that my 3 hp Oneida Super Dust Gorilla is a very high quality system. The design and craftsmanship is excellent, as is Oneida's after the sale support.

Every dust collector that I've ever heard is loud enough that I'd advise installing in either a separate room or some type of baffled enclosure.

Hi Glenn, I've had a 1.5HP Oneida cyclone for 7 or 8 years now, and couldn't be more pleased.

You mentioned the motor HP, which is completely meaningless when looking at a dust collector.

Look at the fan curves to compare the actual performance of the units, and see if they will do what you want.

Selecting the cyclone is actually the last step in the process, as I'm sure you've found. What size of machines and pipe lengths are you looking at to use a cyclone that large in a home shop?

Noise is also a criteria for home use, the Oneida machines are quieter than the other models that I've looked at. The manufacturers will be able to provide that info for you.

Regards, Rod.

Just went through this decision myself, and ended up with a 2hp super Dust Gorilla. I'm not knocking Clearvue, their units offer great performance...but I suggest you add up ALL of the costs with the Clearvue. Once I added up all of the additional stuff I was going to have to purchase on my own for a clearvue (filter, mag starter, dust bin, wall mount, other misc bits) and then factored in assembly and errand time the decision became very easy for me.

I can also say that I was extremely impressed with the construction of the 2hp Gorilla. There was not a single part on the unit that was underbuilt or weak in any way. I really feel like I got way more quality than I was expecting....and my standards have become very high after I experienced some annoying issues with import machines. Everything about the Gorilla screams industrial and heavy duty. I have no doubt that I will be able to easily dis-assemble and re-assemble the unit many times over the years when I move (this was very important to me, since I'm likely to move every five years or so). I realize you are looking at the V3000, but I would expect the same Oneida quality and attention to detail in that unit.

The folks at Oneida were a pleasure to deal with. They answered my questions promptly and were extremely knowledgeable about the product line.
    Last edited by Sean Kinn; 09-28-2009 at 1:50 PM.

I did a thorough review of all available cyclones before deciding to buy the 3HP SDG I have in my shop. It's built better than others and Oneida has a great reputation for support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Glenn,

I bought a Clearvue CV 1800 and I am currently installing it. I am also a hobbyist in my basement with the usual list of machines. Prior to purchase I carefully considered the Oneida Dust Gorilla, the V-3000 system and the Grizzly 3 HP unit. I had many of your concerns, but the specs of the Clearvue, the super customer service from Ed Morgano, and most importantly, the entirely positive feedback from everyone who has purchased the CV sealed the deal. Let me try to address your questions:

Filter efficiency is important and you mention the 99+% of the Oneida. But the real criteria is not what the filter can catch, but how well the cyclone can separate the "sub micron" fine dust and prevent it from getting to the filters in the first place. Based on Clearvue customer feedback from many forums, I was impressed with constant comments stating that after months of heavy use, "I only had a teaspoon of dust that passed to the filter." The Bill Pentz design ensures excellent separation. While the Oneida Dust Gorilla had excellent separation according to independent testing, the V-3000 has a "modified" cyclone design and has never been independently tested. I was specifically told by Oneida that the separation on the V-3000 was less efficient than the SDG.

Like you, I plan to collect dust from the the top and bottom of my table saw and router table, etc. Having two pickups on a machine will just about double the required cfm requirement at a given static pressure. The Clearvue posts their entire fan curve on the website, Oneida provides selected info. For example, the V-3000 will support 840 cfm at 7.4" vs. Clearvue's 1137 at 8.0". Clearvue's performance was measure with 6" pipe, but Oneida's was with a 4" pipe. This meant that I can simplify my ductwork and employ a single duct size throughout and have ample reserve for the future.

I thought about electrical costs, but being a hobbyist that factor did not seem important.

The plastic used for the cyclone and parts of the fan is the same type used by police departments for shields used in riot control. The MDF portions are well made and I have never read a "quality issue"

The Clearvue did have an anecdotal reputation of being noisier, but all cyclones are noisy, but they are all quieter than the woodworking machines that we use. More importantly, Clearvue has recently re-designed its blower to make it much quieter (without asking, Ed Morgano wrote to me telling me how to make the simple modification...seven months after my purchase. Additionally, on the CV website they now post a video showing how install their cyclone and achieve a decibel reading of about 70Db (less than the V-3000) and the video shows the before and after actual readings.

Finally, there is more of a"kit" approach with the Clearvue, which in my case is enabling me to install a full size cyclone in a height challenged basement. The Clearvue components have proven to be lighter and easier for me to work with.

Sorry for the long post, but you asked a lot of questions.

I have the Clearvue 1800 and really like it. I dont know about the others because it replaced my old Jet DC1100. The cyclone has been installed for about 2 years and havent had to clean the filters. The collection garbage can is much heavier when it needs to be emptied, so it collects a lot more fine dust. It seems to work as well as advertised.

I dont notice a higher electric bill from operating it, but I am just a hobbiest. I do square a lot of rough cut, so it does get a work out from time to time.

I just need to connect it to every piece of equipment, not just the big stuff.....and finish my down draft table...etc.

I have the V3000 and have been running it for 6 months now. I can't compare it to the ClearVue since I've never used or seen one running but I can tell you as a hobbiest like you, and a shop about your size, the V3000 has done all that I expected it to do. Setup was straight forward, I used the wall mount instead of the tripod stand, and according to my wife the noise level on the main living area is not intrusive. I must say though that the toughest part of buying one of these systems, for me anyway, was just making up my mind. After that it's a breeze.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Great feedback so far!!

Paul, thanks for info on the Oneida--I can confirm that after my post I researched the fan charts (I had Oneida email me them) and the V-3000 is not adequate. The 3 hp dust gorilla has adequate CFM but not the V-3000. I wasn't aware of the modified cyclone issue so that puts an end to the V-3000 option for me.

Scott, Rod, Sean and Bill--the SDG 3 hp looks good--I'm glad your experience has been good--I'm going to keep looking at it.

Rich and John--your enthusiasm for the CV1800 comes through! I have to admit I've been concerned about the "kit" nature of the CV--the Oneida is attractive as a turn key solution.

I've got some more thinking to do before the sales end Sept 30!

thanks again

Glen

If you were in business, and needed the cyclone up and running fast, then the "kit" that the CV is might come into play. But I concur, that it is simple to put together. I've had mine up and running for about 2 1/2 years, and it performs as advertised. I don't have filters, I exhaust outside, so my noise is lower than those that have filters. To the point that I have put off finishing my closet to surround the cyclone. ( I basically need to build 2 doors)
    Paul is right about the construction. And the name for the material is PTEG. It is "a" plastic, but it is not the plastic you use everyday. The fact that police riot shields are made of it should drive that point home.
    And the only heavy part is the motor. Once that is mounted, the rest of the cyclone can't weigh 20 pounds. (That may be over simplifying the weight, I haven't weighed it, but it is harder for one person to hold it in place and screw it into the blower because of it's bulkiness than it is the weight.)
    I also agonzed for a long time over this decision. Almost as much as the bandsaw decision, but decided for me, the CV was the best for the money, and it maybe helped Bill keep his cyclone pages on the net a little longer. The information he has there is priceless! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Evans View Post
    ... Scott, Rod, Sean and Bill--the SDG 3 hp looks good--I'm glad your experience has been good--I'm going to keep looking at it. ...
    Glen,

I, for one, think you're headed the right direction. If you want to see more about my system, check the Shop Tour on my website. Click on my name, then the website option on the menu. Sorry for the inconvenience of having to send you that route but I don't want to get spanked for adding a direct link to my NON-commercial web page again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I don't want to get spanked for adding a direct link to my NON-commercial web page again!
    Yeah, but it's a .com and we *all* know what THAT means ...

Bill,

Thanks for the shop tour! I like the idea of 3 1/2 hour installation!

Glen