Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Maple Hollow Form - Finished Photo

Dark Maple Hollow Form - Finished Photo

This is from the same maple source as this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88845 and it has a lot going for it! Lots of worm holes, a few small cracks, bark inclusions, color variation and lots of tight curl.

This one is 8 ¼” diameter x 5 ¼” high by 1/8” thick. Sanded to 320 grit and so far it has only one saturated coat of Minwax Wipe-On Poly. Wanted to take a few photos of the piece to show off all the variations without having to deal with any glare issues.

Dark Maple v1.JPG Dark Maple v2.JPG Dark Maple v3.JPG Dark Maple v4.JPG Dark Maple v5.JPG

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve that is a pretty one. I really like the wood color and it does have alot going for it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice Steve. You really got this HF thing down.

Is the inside stained or is it just the shadows that make it appear dark?

Toney

Another nice one Steve, Love the color...Bill...

Another very nice one Steve. Appears you have got a handle on the 1/8" thickness. What's next? Maybe 1/16", some more dyes, pyrography, piercing? Looking forward to the next evolution.
    Richard in Wimberley

It has good shape i like fugured wood & holes that makes a peice. Im going to have to brake down and get something so I can do hollow forms , still looking want to get the most for my money.

You dyed a HF green about a week ago did you use the powder or the liq dye and how long did you leave it in for.

Thanks

very nice...

Another great HF

Steve, Love the dark holes and the subtle gray spalting. It looks like it has some spots of figure near the opening, might have to see that one in person to get the full effect!

Thanks for keeping us inspired,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Steve, you have done it again. You do some very nice hollow forms. Thanks for posting this.
    Eugene in NC

Steve,

Very nice form and really interesting piece of wood.

Good Work.

Alan

Nice one Steve. There is a lot going on with that wood. I like the soft satin finish the way it is.
    One question on your HF's: Do you rough them out green, let them dry, then finish turn, or rough and finish turn then let them dry?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Meant to get back to everyone last night but we were & still are experiencing our first big fall storm and we lost power around 11 pm. Always something!

Toney - the inside looks dark because of lighting.

Richard - next evolution eh? Not sure what that would be but have been giving thought to everything you mentioned. Still think I want to play around with dyes a little more. Joe Landon sparked my interest with the variations he gets using multiple colors.

Joseph - glad you like the form. The green hollow form was dyed using powdered RIT clothing dye mixed with denatured alcohol so it would dry fast. I use 1" foam brushes to apply the dye and then sand everything back a little to reveal the grain.

Rob - I use green wood, rough out all my turnings first, DNA, finish turn at my convenience when dry.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very pretty piece Steve! Interesting piece of wood and great form.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Very nice Steve. I like the proportions and the grain is beautiful. I'm learning a lot from you.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Steve,

Awesome job. Looks like you been busy on you lathe.

Dwight