Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Much Needed Shop Facility

Jerry, looks like a great shop addition. I like the southwestern theme. Should definitely help cut down on tracking sawdust into the house, too.

If this is a home shop it is not allowed to have a panel in a residential bathroom, and a panel is REQUIRED to have 36" clearance in front of it.

The 1st is a call that can be argued that it does not apply,since it but #2 is a clear violation of workspace rules. Source: 2005 NEC sections 240.24(E), & 110.26 (A) (1). The panel should be moved.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McFalls View Post
    I posted this just because I thought someone might enjoy them, not to get into a deep discussion on code violations.....If I had a problem caused by my work I would fix it myself and not bother my insurance company.
    Jerry, you are correct in that you did not invite the comments on safety/code. Given your feelings, I should stop here. But, I continually see postings on SMC that simply amaze me.

SMC, like Facebook and MySpace, is a public forum, and subject to all kinds of data searching mechanics. Most large companies can and do access those search capabilities. Generally, it seems unwise to post anything questionable on the web. The info never goes away, and one may regret the posting. Just ask all those job applicants that wish they had never heard of Facebook or MySpace.

More importantly, if you have "a problem" it could be involve you, a family member, or a friend, and include death or serious injury, and you simply may not be able to "fix it" yourself.

At that point, your insurance company would be compelled to defend you. In doing a simple search of the web, they would quickly find these comments, and choose to defend you under a reservation of rights. At that point, you would need to retain your own attorney, and suffer possible economic disaster on top of the injuries.

Neat project, but those that posted the comments are actually interested in your well-being and I believe are well intentioned.

I would just like to say congrats on the new facilities.

Fellas, I think he gets it...some of you like to point out code violations. Sounds like Jerry understands that he's liable in the event of any issue. I'm willing to bet that a hardcore inspector could find some sort of code violation in every single one of our shops if they really wanted to. Maybe not electrical, but something. Also, I'd like to point out that many of us have dust collectors that some insurance companies consider to be a fire hazard and will deny coverage for. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kinn View Post
    I would just like to say congrats on the new facilities.

Fellas, I think he gets it...some of you like to point out code violations. Sounds like Jerry understands that he's liable in the event of any issue. I'm willing to bet that a hardcore inspector could find some sort of code violation in every single one of our shops if they really wanted to. Maybe not electrical, but something. Also, I'd like to point out that many of us have dust collectors that some insurance companies consider to be a fire hazard and will deny coverage for. Just sayin...

Still does not make it right.

Man I'd reallly like to have a urinal in my workshop. I seldom have anyone over, but as soon as I go out into the garage/shop get all suited up with my grubby work clothes and ready to enjoy several hours of tinkering it never fails - I have to pee. Back into the house - sneaking past the other half so she does not see what I am wearing in the house...

I'm seriously considering this as a viable option

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    I'm seriously considering this as a viable option

A gallon of milk is an option?

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I agree with the code concerns. The other issue is if the house is sold and then the next owner does something stupid it can come back to haunt you later on.

But my other thought is that there is nowhere to wash your hands! Ewwww!

Jerry,

I think your shop addition looks great..........and believe me the codes are not always what they are cracked up to be. That's what I love about where I live at.......my inspector would come in drink a beer with you and then go use your urinal and tell ya how much he liked the design.........

I watched one of our rescue dogs relieve himself on the fence...electrified fence. Not something I'd want to take the chance on duplicating myself!! At least he didn't know what got him, but he did the puppy squat in the middle of the yard for a while. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, I could have gone all day without reading that!!!

I've thought about it but would have to come up with a way to dispose of the effluent. My shop sits downhill somewhat (as downhill as you can get in SE Michigan) and I'd actually have to pump uphill to get to our septic I believe. That leaves the option of putting in another septic field, or walking out back. Someone once told me to just dig a drywell, but I'm understandably hesitant to put in an illegal sewage disposal system.

13. Jerry, is nice work on the urinal and tiling, violations aside.

Thomas, there is too a place to wash your hands.. Just hit the flush lever..

Matt, a specialized sump system made for sewage is the best, and cheapest bet for you. The line gets plumbed into a sealed sump pit where an eviscerating pump chops it all up and sends it up to the main.

Matt,
    Guess what all the wild critters that reside in the woods around my property use for effluent disposal? There are a whole bunch more of them than there is of me. If I lived in a high density populated area I would be concerned about effluent. My property has about 12 inches of top soil and a whole bunch of sand and gravel below that so by the time it hits my 121 foot deep well the water is probably pretty clean.
    I don't have a dry well yet but it is in the plans. I spent to much time in the Army living out in the field where we used 55 gallon barrels cut in half with an attached seat over a hole in the ground, that is if we had time to dig the hole.
    I think the shop urinal is a great idea but I have the potential freeze issue to deal with even if I keep my shop at 50 degrees during the cold season.
    I do have a very small bathroom that is right next to my garage that is used frequently so the sawdust and dirt doesn't get carried into the main part of the house. My shop is around 200 feet from the house.
    David B

If you look at the second set of pictures I posted you will see there is a utility sink next to the urinal. Washing hands is not a problem. The light switch inside the urinal stall is a motion detection switch so you don't have to touch it. Sanitation is important to me.