Thread: Maple Table ( Nakashima Inspired )

Maple Table ( Nakashima Inspired )

This is one of the tables I will be showing at the Fine Furnishings Show this weekend. The base is ebonized Ash and stainless steel. The strecher is live edge Ash, you can see the tracks left by the Ash Borer. I used steel wool soaked in vinegar to ebonize the Ash. Finish is an oil / varnish mix. Table is 29H X 56W x 22D on the wide end 13D on the narrow. You can view progress photos of this table here, http://timberwerksstudio.blogspot.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dale Osowski; 09-29-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Very cool, I love that top slab. Man, it just looks nice.

Ditto RickT - very cool. I have always liked the look of floating tops, and you have come up with a design that is a floating top (with the ash braces), but isn't a floating top. Umm..that sounds dumb, but you know what i mean. Also- the idea of the feet (?) being different lengths with the stretcher centered (? looks like?) on the shorter foot makes it look like the table is striding toward you.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks for the comments guy's. Yes, the strecher is centered on the small foot. I added another photo that gives you a better view.

Now This I realy liky, Great work!
    If you go through a whole day and didn't learn something new, you wasted it!

Thanks Randy,

Are you coming to the show this weekend? http://www.finefurnishingsshow.com/

7. beautiful table

I love the contract of the metal legs, ebonized wood. I do metal and wood table legs as well and this design is really elegant, especially the maple spreader.

drew.

8. oops

meant to type "contrast of the metal legs"

Really nice work, Dale. I hope that the show goes well for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Drew,

This is only the second time I've used metal. I got to admit, I enjoy using it and the contrast it offers.

Thanks Jim,

The show will be a fun time, it's great to talk with other woodworkers and meet new people. It's also interesting to see how people respond to your work.

Very nice modern piece, Dale. I have never ebonized ash so.. how long does it take once you have applied the vinegar or is there more too it than that?

Regards and good luck at the show...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks John

The Ash turned black almost instantly. I also used Quebracho bark powder. This is Brian Bogg's method. You can view the process here, http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...bonizing_Wood/

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Osowski View Post
    Thanks John

The Ash turned black almost instantly. I also used Quebracho bark powder. This is Brian Bogg's method. You can view the process here, http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ar...bonizing_Wood/
    Thanks Dale... excellent article which falls into "I didn't know that". With the price of Gaboon Ebony so high and the fact I use quite a bit for A & C buttons... I may just do some experiementing with clear maple.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler