Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop new or used

SawStop new or used

I have decided to finally purchase a SS cabinet saw. My current deli ma is should I buy a local used one (one year old 52" industrial model with lots of extra) for the same price ($3k) as the new professional 36"
    It would be nice to have the 52" but I really only need the 36"
    Extras include:
    Sawstop 52" fence extension
    Sawstop 52" fence extension sidetable
    HTC Roller outfeed table
    HTC Mobile Base
    Osbourne adjustable Miter Guage
    8" Diablo Dado set
    Dado brake cartridge for Sawstop
    2- Forrest WWII blades (Thin Kerf and Thick Kerf)

My biggest concern is the lack of warranty on the used one ( SS does not transfer warranty)

Has anyone had any major warranty issues on their saws, any particular problems I should look for?

Thanks
    Richard

If you don't consider the warranty, the used saw is no question the better deal (assuming very good condition).

Not sure how the warranty affects things...

I would add up what the extras are worth, weigh that against what you MIGHT (unlikely) need covered under a warranty, and decide what risk assessment you are comfortable with. Do you already have any of the extras and/or will you be likely to be purchasing them in the future? In other words, what is the real value of the extras to you.

I find it rather disturbing that they won't transfer the warranty.

The ICS is a very solid unit. I don't think you'll have warranty issues. Is it 3 or 5 hp? The PCS is limited to 3 hp I believe. With the extras, I would get the ICS. Is the HTC the SS mobile base? The SS mobile base is awesome. Hydraulic jack raises and lowers the saw, and the saw sits back on the ground, not 2 wheels and the legs, like many other bases. That alone is 380 bucks retail, not to mention 299 in saw blades. If it runs, the saw is fine. I got mine used. I'm happy.

I have an ICS. It is truely a lot more saw (almost 700 lbs) than the PCS. To me, a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Holmes View Post
    I find it rather disturbing that they won't transfer the warranty.
    Never really thought about it are major power tool warranties generally transferable?

OP Don't know about the PCS version. I've had my SS for almost 3 years and it is great. $3k seems like a pretty good deal if in good shape
    Last edited by Dan Lee; 09-29-2009 at 5:09 PM.

the used saw will still be worth 3k a month after you buy it. The new saw will be worth 2k a month after you but it. so i would say the used saw is a better deal.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

Has the used saw been called in for warranty or registered? If not, how do they know you did not buy it? I bet they cover any issue you have.

A lot more saw for the same money.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

3k is a bargain, considering your buying a fully loaded industrial machine that is designed to survive day to day abuse for quite some time. I would not be to concerned with warrantee, the only real thing I could foresee replacing would be the switch in the case it has seen allot of abuse. The paddle switches on the saw-stops are very sensitive and therefore a bit more delicate than your typical magnetic switch people are used to beating on with the end of a board.

Spend some time and look over the saw to make sure it hasn't been water damaged, dropped by a forklift, or abused in some way. If everything is in good shape I would buy it before somebody else does.

Rich,

I own the PCS saw and am very happy with it. However I think the used ICS is the better deal. As others have said, the ICS saw will still be worth 3k a month from now, the PCS not so. And the extras that come with the ICS saw make it even a better deal. I also think as Mike aluded to if you buy the ICS saw how will sawstop know you are the new owner. You can use the old owners name but a new address for the deliveries of parts. And remember the the PCS saw only comes with a 1 year warranty anyhow. So you are only loosing 1 year of warranty. I say hurry and buy the ICS saw.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 09-29-2009 at 6:46 PM.

Well, if there are blood stains all over the used one, I'd say don't buy it.

I would go for the used one.

I bought might new, 5HP, long table ext., a dado cartridge and a zero clearance insert. Tack on tax and delivery if I remember correctly the bill came to around $4.5k.

The extra money is because the industrial saw is built better. If it is in good shape I wouldn't even think twice, I love mine.

Thanks for all the info, this really helps me make a decision. I'll keep you posted

Thanks
    Richard

General question: set aside the safety features of the SS. How does it compare to other saws?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.