Thread: Woodmaster CT 2 tpi BS blade (new?)

1. Question Woodmaster CT 2 tpi BS blade (new?)

My Situation: I'm currently in the market for a new bandsaw blade. I've got a 14" Rikon 10-325 bandsaw, and I've been currently using some Timberwolf 3/4" x 2/3 tpi blades. They cut well enough, I guess, but since I cut so many exotic woods, the blade life is really lousy. It's getting really annoying to always have dull blades after only a few weeks or a month.

A Possible Solution? So now, I'm looking into getting a carbide tipped bandsaw blade, (or an equivalent). I looked at the Laguna Resaw King, but just thought it was too expensive. So that's when the Woodmaster CT caught my eye. After reading many reviews on the blade, I'm leaning more towards getting it, but still have some questions:

1.) Almost all the reviews that I've read were of the 1.3 tpi version, and yet it appears that there is now also a 2 tpi available as well. I'm not sure if this is a new/recent development, or if anyone has any info on the higher tooth count blade. You can see it available from Lenox, and spectrumsupply. Any experiences with the new 2 tpi blades, especially as they compare to the 1.3 tpi?

2.) Will my bandsaw (Rikon 10-325) be able to tension and run a 1" blade? I'd really like to run a carbide tipped blade in this saw, and this may be my only affordable option. Anyone have experience with this blade and bandsaw combination?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-01-2009 at 5:44 AM.
    Eric Meier

I Shellac.

I have a 14" Laguna that I run a 1" Tri-master on. I can't speak for the Woodmaster, but the Tri-master seems to be an excellent band, and I wouldn't be afraid of trying a Woodmaster. I'm entertaining thoughts of picking one up just to have as a backup. Since you deal with so many exotics, you might consider the higher tooth count of the Tri-master. Not as economical as the Woodmaster, but still not as spendy as a Resaw King.

When I bought my machine, I had similar concerns about it's ability to tension a band that wide. I was told it could be done with room to spare, and that seems to hold true. Now my concern is for the longevity of the band itself. Keep in mind that both of those bands, at 1" wide, are .035" thick, and most people don't recommend a band that thick on a machine with wheels that small. I haven't had any problems yet, but must admit that I'm a pretty light user of this machine. As for the Rikon's ability to tension a 1" band, I think I'd make a call to Rikon, and get it from the horse's mouth.

Another option might be a bi-metal band.

3. Thanks for that reply.

Actually, the more I read about bandsaw blades, etc., the more I am becoming convinced that the Tri Master might be the blade for me. Also, I may even go down to a 1/2" blade, though it's 3 tpi.

It's just that I have some issues with the Tri-Master---maybe they're all in my head, but I just can't get past them.

For one, it's not even made for resawing, but it's billed as a "multi-purpose" blade that even cuts metals. This doesn't sound like what I'm after at all, though apparently it seems to get good reviews for wood. I just can't envision in my head how something that's used for metals could be good at resawing at all.

Second is obviously the cost, though I think I could handle it if I'd be assured that it would last much longer than the steel blades I'm using now. I've messed up/bent/broken a couple of blades in the past when resawing log sections. I guess I'd have to steer clear from rougher work with this blade, just to avoid damage to the band itself. I couldn't consider it disposable by any means.
    Eric Meier

I Shellac.

Remember Rikon 10-325s have a max blade width of 3/4".

As you may be aware, many use 1/2" bands and report good results. I have used them on another saw with no issues. Also the 1/2" Tri-master is only .025" thick which is keeping in line with recommendations for a 14" saw.

As for being a multi-purpose band-so what? The Tri-master has exceeded my expectation, and as you noted, others have reported excellent results. How many times have woodworkers taken a tool designed for something else and adapted it to their needs? Many bandsaw users also run meat bands on their machines and give positive reports. I've never done this, but as a professional meatcutter, I can see where they could fill a need in a woodshop. To run off at a tangent, this may be something for you to keep in mind, being that you work with many exotics. Meat bands are thinner (typically .022"), pretty economical, and in my experience, last a fair amount of time.

As for cost, true, they are pricier than the Woodmaster, but neither is a disposable band. You really don't want to use either one in a situation where there is a risk of kinking one. But barring any damage to the band itself, carbide teeth will far outlast the teeth on any carbon band-by at least a factor of 10.

Reviewing all of the bands available can be confusing. I went through the same thing before I settled on the Tri-master. Hope this helps you decide.

While it's talking about the 1" blades, Sam Blasco (the Minimax BS rep) did a small comparison review between the Trimaster and Woodmaster that might be worth a read.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=woodmaster
    I love my TM but it sounds like the Woodmaster comes in a very close 2nd.
    Use the fence Luke