Thread: Compucarve $700 worth it?

Compucarve $700 worth it?

There is a guy here that bought this new a few years ago and never took it out of the box. I understand that this machine is limited but this would be just a fun toy for me. Is $700 a good price for this toy?
    Thanks

2. Buy it. Very good price.

Compucarve

Jess,

First off, please get the machines serial number. Then call either CarveWright, the company that actually makes the machine, and or Sears that sells the Compucarve, and ask them if this is a good serial number.

I'm sure you've read some of the threads in this forum about folks getting ripped off etc, etc. Doing the above just covers that base.

I've owned a CarveWright for two years and there are a number of issues on both the machine and software. Please send me a PM and I'll go into some detail, along with answering any of your questions, on that side of the forum.

If, and that's a pretty big IF, this is a "legal" machine, and it has never been used, yes, this price is a good deal. But unless you are very computer literate, are not software challenged, and do not mind the size limitation of the machine itself then move forward. You might want to also ask whether or not this price also includes the CD's with all of the latest changes to the software included.

Hope this helps.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

I now have 4 machines, the last 3 purchased broke. I am pretty good at fixing them.

First off the Serial Number is a great idea... Get it and call LHR 713-473-6572 They have just started a Pay for Tech Support program. Don't know if you will be able to ask the question free? Just don't know...

LHR does not warranty the second owner.

2 years old.... There have been a few parts including the Z Bundle replacing the Z Motor and a circuit board and flat cable. You will want that soon. The old Z would dive into the board.

There is an after market chuck to hold the bits you will want.... It is called the ROCK Chuck. About $175.00 and makes the machine cut smoother. The old QC or Quick Change made the bit flutter.

You will need to be able to make repairs yourself with parts from LHR. The CW Forum is very helpful. I have almost 3500 posts offering fix it advice.

One trip to LHR to go over the machine and make the changes will cost you about $600.00 out of pocket.

The only pressing fix out of the box will be the Z Diving into the board. The rest is nice to have....

Join the CW Forum and let us know how you make out.

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the info. I am sure I will have many questions so thanks again for the offer to help me with this.