Thread: Sawstop Question

Sawstop Question

Hi, All,

I am finally getting very serious about a sawstop.

Last I knew they had a cabinet saw and had just come out with a contractor's saw.

I am interested in a cabinet saw, but when I went to their site I saw that they now have two cabinet saws: an "industrial" cabinet saw and a "professional" cabinet saw. Can anyone shed any light on the differences?

I did a search here, knowing that there are a lot of long-time owners and a lot of back and forth about the Sawstop, but I wasn't able to find any explicit answer to my question. Maybe I just overlooked it-----??

Thanks.

The 'industrial' saw is what they used to call the cabinet saw. It has the ICS prefix.

Here's one thread. there are others. "PCS" is what you need to search for to find discussion here about the "mid-range" saw.
    "It's Not About You."

So I have been told the story behind the PCS is they looked at the contractor saw and realized it was beefy enough to support a 3HP motor, and added a full sized cabinet. I don't know how true that is but when looking closely at the two there are enough similarities to make some sense.

Unless you need a saw for an industrial, or heavy commercial setting the PCS should meet all your needs. I own the contractor saw, fully loaded and now my 3HP jet cabinet saw sits in the back of my shop powerless while I try to sell it. It meets my needs very well and other than the motor being a bit on the small side preforms as well as any cabinet saw I have used other than euro sliders and, of course other Sawstops. I would imagine the PCS would do anything you want it to perfectly fine.

FWIW, I was told by the salesman at Woodcraft that the price on the PCS is going up October 5th by $400 (at least in my area) because SS is no longer offering free shipping

Richard

Art,

I am not trying to be difficult but since so much has been written about the new sawstop professional cabinet saw you should be able to find lots of information about it. Try searching sawstop PCS . That should bring up lots of info. If not let us know and I should be able to help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Art,

I am not trying to be difficult but since so much has been written about the new sawstop professional cabinet saw you should be able to find lots of information about it. Try searching sawstop PCS . That should bring up lots of info. If not let us know and I should be able to help more.

Paul,

I think you are being a bit quick on the trigger here. As fine as this forum is, I think that this is one of its biggest faults: "You idiot! Why didn't you just do a search?" Easy to say.

I hadn't thought to use the abbreviation PCS. I just did a search using "Sawstop PCS" and came up initially with nothing. Then I took off the quotes and the first page of results, at least, didn't address my specific question.

I think what I hear others telling me is that the PCS is the appropriate one for me as a (very) amateur woodworker. I have registered on the Sawstop site and requested the video. I will undoubtedly learn a lot from it.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Art,

I did not mean to be short. That is the problem with internet forums and not actually speaking. I re-read my post and I can see how you could have taken it as me saying "you idiot" that was not my intention at all. All I meant to say was try using sawstop PCS and you should find a lot of information. Sorry. By the way have you been able to find the threads that we have written about our experiences with the saw?