Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever get tired of walking across the shop to get the tool you need?

Ever get tired of walking across the shop to get the tool you need?

Solution I saw in a magazine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

nope, my shops only 11' wide

Quote Originally Posted by dan grant View Post
    nope, my shops only 11' wide
    I'm a little better, but not by much...I'm usually only 6' or so from whatever tool I need...
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Looks tippy.

I made one that has worked pretty good for me. Has a drawer with screws, paper towel and I made it the deluxe model by adding the can holder.

I got rid of the clamps and build myself a clamp carrier too.

I really like it that you put power in it. One extension cord instead of a tangle of cords.

Richard, that is COOL! Ditto on the outlets being a great idea.

Not really my shop is not big enough.

I wouldn't have any place to roll that.

Some of the tool and clamp carts pictured here are very cool. But really... Murphy's law states that the tool you need will always be as far away from you as it can be. It does not matter how many tools you pack around with you. Murphy's law is very clear on this.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Some of the tool and clamp carts pictured here are very cool. But really... Murphy's law states that the tool you need will always be as far away from you as it can be. It does not matter how many tools you pack around with you. Murphy's law is very clear on this.
    +1 This particularly applies to pencils, measuring devices, and straight edges, dammit!

Mostly applies to my safety glasses. I swear, they have legs.

I'm pretty sure I'd get tired of bumping into that. The first time I knocked it over, or knocked a tool off of it, it'd loose it's wheels.

Cool idea though.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I really don't mind walking across the shop to get a tool, hit a switch, or whatever. It's the walking around my shop aimlessly for 15 minutes, looking for my tape measure or pencil that drives me mad. At least I know that when I have to walk up and down my shop for things I can locate it's never more than a few seconds. Looking for things can eat up the better part of my day.

That's why I have 4 or 5 tape measures around the shop in different areas.

"... I have 4 or 5 tape measures around the shop..."

Again, I have to point to Murphy's law. Regarding tape measures, rulers, pencils and or putty knives, it does not matter how many you own or how many you scatter around your shop. There will simply never be one within reach. And don't try to pass off that old "pencil behind the ear" thing. You know darned well that sooner or later you will stab yourself in the eye. Tapes with belt clips may seem like another way to circumvent the inevitable. But sooner or later you will end up catching the thing on something and ripping your pants off. And, again, according to Murphy's law, it will be when you have a customer standing right next to you.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 09-30-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Sounds like someone is having a bad day.