Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gunk Removal

Just received a free Delta chuck from when I purchased the new Delta Midi lathe. It is a Nova G3d chuck, (G3 made for Delta), and it was in a plastic bag with that heavy protectant all over it . It did, however, just wipe off with a rag, (didn't sling all over when I used it on the lathe after cleaning either.) Took a little time to get it all out of the grooves and teeth, but is now nice and clean.
    If I had to use a solvent, I'd vote for the mineral spirits as well. The protectant seems to be petroleum base and the MS should cut it.

Gunky chuck

Ryan,
    Brand new in Nova original packing, not cosmoline, just heavy oil.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Deodorized mineral spirits and a bunch of Q Tips - and a half hour of your time. Then hit it with a couple of coats of Ren Wax. I store my chucks (all 6 of 'em - I don't change jaws) in the jars Costco uses for their mixed nuts. Keeps them clean and out of the humidity we seem to have around here.
    Last edited by Jim Sebring; 10-04-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling error

Jim, I do like the idea of costco nut containers. Good thing I like their product. Not to get you too envious re humidity, we are running 14 percent today. Went over to your side of the hill to Olympia Sat, came back Sunday. It was gorgeous on your side as well.
    Again, thanks for the costco container suggestion.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA