Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No olympics in the US

I agree with Steve, given the choice of going or even watching on TV Rio would definitely be my choice over Chicago. Just seems like it would be a lot more interesting and may even attract more viewers that are not into the sports so much.

As for Phelps, Paul was right about his start. That makes it an amazing story, and a kid who might have struggled to make a living will just from the Olympics have a fortune in endorsements to last a long time if he handles it well.

Ken, they must be paying you a lot more than me if you are overpaid!

Must be seniority!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The US lost out on a chance to show off Chicago to the world in 2016. Some obviously take great satisfaction in this.

The Olympics are about achieving perfection. A stage for the world to witness the greatest athletes, going head to head, winners and losers separated by the thinnest of margins.

I'll watch the Olympics regardless where they are held. It would have been nice to show the world Chicago though.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    Oh, how I'd love to turn this into a politcal thread......but I shant....

- Keith
    Man you stole my thunder!!

In life timing is everything and I suspect that the video of some of the locals beating each other with 2X4's may have influenced the decision just a little. It's probably just a wee bit safer in Irag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Genovesi View Post
    Man you stole my thunder!!

In life timing is everything and I suspect that the video of some of the locals beating each other with 2X4's may have influenced the decision just a little.
    Hogwash. Could the fact that we had a bomb blowup at our last Olympic games have any bearing on their decision?

Rio de Janeiro has an ample supply of corruption and a large contingent of homeless people including children engaging in activities that are even more repulsive than some rioting mob wielding 2x4'.

If we are going to examine the motives of the committee, we should put all the cards on the table rather than deal from the bottom of the deck.

Greg,

No offense.

Just because the committee didn't select Chicago as the site doesn't mean it was a corrupt decision.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Greg,

No offense.

Just because the committee didn't select Chicago as the site doesn't mean it was a corrupt decision.
    I wasn't implying the IOC was/is corrupt. One person was advancing the theory that Chicago is a violent city and the IOC might have been influenced by this. I countered with the fact that our last Olympic games were marred by a bomb.

Rio isn't any more pristine and pure than Chicago. They have more than their share of corruption.

It is unfair, and offensive, to say an American city is more violent than a war zone. Throwing Chicago under the bus has turned into a blood sport I guess.

Greg,

I moved to Idaho from the Chicago area 27 years ago.

I'm the oldest of 6 kids. When my next inline sister was born we were living at 3600 South St. Louis. The neighborhood's changed. I was two when some woman made the remark " What a lovely little girl you have!" to my father who was holding my hand on a sidewalk and me with my never shorn blonde curls. My Dad told my Mom "I'll be back." and holding my hand jumped onto a street car and I got my first hair cut in downtown Chicago somewhere.

I'll admit, I left Chicago as a child and didn't move back for 27 years. I lived and worked there for 4 1/2 years as an adult.

I don't think anybody is throwing Chicago under the bus but the timing of the teen being beaten to death surely either didn't help Chicago's cause or at least helped the committee to justify it's decision.

As I stated earlier, I really think as an international event the Olympics should be moved regularly. If I heard it correctly.....I'm nearly deaf......there has never been an Olympics held in any South American country.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Greg,

No offense.

You may be right. If it were the other way around, though...???
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    You may be right. If it were the other way around, though...???

Same result as far as I am concerned.

So Chicago didn't get selected. Lewiston, Idaho didn't get selected either. Neither did Clarkston, WA.....or Missoula, MT .....or someplace in CA..

So what?

In all aspects of life, you some times win....you some times lose......sometimes things go your way......sometimes they don't........

It's not always some big conspiracy contrary to what a lot of skeptical or paranoid people would like to believe.

There are more important things in life IMHO. The Olympics....athletes.....entertainment....... So what?

There are a lot more important things in life. Nobody is going to lose their life as a result of this decision.

Something in life are important........... Most aren't......this isn't.

JMHO
    Ken

I don't think current events shaped the IOC's decision to cut Chicago. Rather, I think South America was long overdue to host an Olympics.

Regardless, I took offense at the negative comparison of an American city to a war zone.