Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling bob smalser...

calling bob smalser...

Hey Bob,

I have appreciated your write ups so much, I am curious if you know names of trichloroethylene products that can be used. I have been searching but can't find any products locally and don't want to have it shipped. I am trying to clean up a few chisels and block planes.

Tacoma Screw here locally sells a commercial aerosol product called "Safety Solvent" that is 100% trichloroethylene.

As the stuff is a suspected carcinogen, the name choice has more to do with fire than whether nitrile rubber gloves and a good organic respirator are a good idea. They are.

Otherwise the only other source I know of is Brownells. I also have never found an equal substitute for it as a degreaser.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Most brake cleaners are pretty much the same thing. Regardless, any form of trichloroethylene, one should take good safety precautions. Aside from a carcinogen, it contributes to liver problems.
    “Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway”
    - John Wayne (1907-1979)

Thank you for the replies. I am going to pick up some brake cleaner, gloves and work in an open environment.

Thanks for the suggestions and warnings.

5. Quite apart from your personal protection, just a note on being "green"...... TCE is one of the most infamous and ubiquitous groundwater pollutants out there, so please dispose of properly, or if not, get ready to get a new well drilled.......

Chris - if the issue is removing years of dried-up grease and oil, laquer thinner works very well for the purpose. It's a lot easier to get, and while not exactly "safe" in comparison to something like mineral spirits, it's a lot less toxic than chlorinated alkyl solvents like trichloroethylene.

He doesn't want TCE for the heavy grease lifting plain old mineral spirits and a brass brush does better and cheaper. TCE usually isn't a polution spill problem or very good as an initial cleaner because besides being expensive, it evaporates almost immediately and is reserved for the final degreasing to get the steel chemically clean for the best adhesion of phosphate bluing to inhibit rust. Nothing works as well.

Rustproofing Tools
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28340

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Think I'd still consider laquer thinner for the purpose - the shop I used to work in switched to it when TCE got really expensive and difficult to dispose of.

Acetone. An excellent degreaser but better water displacer and also evaporates almost immediately.

Watch for it to become more difficult to get, as it's used to make an easily-detonated explosive favored by terrorists. There I'm a bit concerned we're only catching the morons, because while a grown, bearded man buying cases of nail polish remover in a beauty shop attracts attention, the same guy in painters coveralls buying gallons of lacquer thinner at Home Depot wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eye.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post
    TCE usually isn't a polution spill problem or very good as an initial cleaner because besides being expensive, it evaporates almost immediately <snip>
    Beg to differ. I've been involved in a dozen or so superfund sites, from small industrial to large, and TCE is uniformly at the top of the list. Perhaps in the quantities we are talking about its not an issue, but its a well-known groundwater pollutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Niemiec View Post
    Beg to differ. I've been involved in a dozen or so superfund sites, from small industrial to large, and TCE is uniformly at the top of the list. Perhaps in the quantities we are talking about its not an issue, but its a well-known groundwater pollutant.
    I'm not disputing that. But around the shop I haven't found TCE to be a disposal problem.

I did pick up a brake cleaner, but i'm almost certain it said tetrachloroethylene.

Will the extra chlorine group make a big difference or will it still clean and evaporate like I was hoping for?

For what it's worth, there were a bunch of low VOC formulas, but I didn't pay attention once I saw there was no ....chloroethylene ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M Pyle View Post

Will the extra chlorine group make a big difference or will it still clean and evaporate like I was hoping for?
    Dunno....you'll have to try it. If after scrubbing with mineral spirits followed by brake cleaner on the clean paper towel, the surface of the steel is difficult to "wet" with the phosphate, then you won't get as durable a coating and will benefit from Brownell's TCE. I often fold my paper towel into fourths so I have multiple fresh surfaces for multipe passes on the tough ones.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 10-04-2009 at 8:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M Pyle View Post
    I did pick up a brake cleaner, but i'm almost certain it said tetrachloroethylene.

For what it's worth, there were a bunch of low VOC formulas, but I didn't pay attention once I saw there was no ....chloroethylene ingredients
    Can't comment on the phosphate bluing like Bob can, but from a chemistry perspective, the properties of trichloroethylene and tetrachloroethylene are fairly similar. Both of them were used in the dry cleaning industry because of their excellent grease solvating properties before the advent of supercritical CO2 processes.

As Bob notes, if the brake cleaner has something in it that leaves an oily residue on the steel, then use laquer thinner or acetone as the final cleaning step. Either will remove any remaining residue and make the steel surface hydrophylic (in other words, water will wet it rather than beading up).

Good and bad wetting action on steel.

Regardless of manufacturer's claims that the bluing pentrates oil, the durability of the finish is in direct proportion to the quality of the chemical reaction, which in turn depends on the cleanliness of the steel.

Is the process perfect? No. But a dozen generations of gunsmiths haven't been fooling themselves for 200+ years, either.

This jointer table at a mobile site was brushed off and tarped without the grease rag wipedown it should have got. The tarp leaked and this is what it looked like a few weeks later. The lack of puddling shows the table has little to no oil protection. Imagine what it would have looked like if the table wasn't blued at all. The fix was a quick rubdown with red Scotchbrite and WD-40 to remove the rust, followed by degreasing and a thimble full of phosphoric acid followed by bluing for a full repair.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 10-04-2009 at 11:27 AM.