Thread: Anyone Tried Herculeliner On A Work Bench??

Anyone Tried Herculeliner On A Work Bench??

I have a work bench that I built out of four " channel many years ago. I took the metal top off and want to coat the frame with Herculeiner truck bed coating. I am considering doing the wooden top with the coating. It is advertised as sticking to wood. This is not going to be a table that I do a lot of beating and thrashing on. Has anyone tried this??

Thanks

Hercliner does not go on smooth and IMO would not make a good work surface.

I would agree....as good as Herculiner is for a lot of things, the top of workbench has to be somewhere near the bottom of the list.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Hercliner is a great product!

Hercliner goes on leaving a very pebbly finish that designed to be super durable and the non-skid surface keep things in there place very well. I've used it several times but primarily for the use it was intended; bed linings.

This product sticks to just about anything it comes in contact with so be careful where you apply it because it's designed to adhere in order to be durable and provide years of trouble free service.

Would I use it for a bench top, sure, if it were used outdoor and I needed to protect it from the elements. Would I use it indoors on a woodworking bench, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy Johnson View Post
    This is not going to be a table that I do a lot of beating and thrashing on. Has anyone tried this??

Thanks
    There was a discussion, and an example on a garage forum I look at, a while back. This was NOT a woodworking table, but a beating and degreasing/disassembly table. I would think you would want it on there FOR that kind of table, instead of a flat reference surface that is preferred for woodworking.

Bob...Since it cost so much and I would have alot left over is the reason I was considering the top. The kit to put in on with is $40.(roller and brushes) Can it be put on with a regular paint brush? If so I could just get a Qt. and just do the frame.

Table is to be used in woodshop for face frames, glue up..ect

Thanks
    Johnny
    Last edited by Johnnyy Johnson; 10-03-2009 at 1:01 PM. Reason: clarify what table is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy Johnson View Post
    Bob...Since it cost so much and I would have alot left over is the reason I was considering the top. The kit to put in on with is $40.(roller and brushes) Can it be put on with a regular paint brush? If so I could just get a Qt. and just do the frame.

Table is to be used in woodshop for face frames, glue up..ect

Thanks
    Johnny
    Johnny,

Hmmmm, that's a good question.

The kit comes with 2 course rollers and I believe it's intended to apply the product so that it goes on thick and adds texture as well. The kit also includes a small brush for getting into the little nooks and crannies.

Personally, I don't see why it can't be applied to the bench-top with a regular brush that satisfies its intended use.

Yep...I agree, going to try it tomorrow....Thanks