Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size planer do I need?

What size planer do I need?

I'm just getting started setting up a shop to build all types of household furniture. What size planer will I need? I've heard good things about the Dewalt 13" tabletop. Is this adequate? How about Grizzly brand?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post

I'm just getting started setting up a shop to build all types of household furniture. What size planer will I need? I've heard good things about the Dewalt 13" tabletop. Is this adequate? How about Grizzly brand?
    A 12" is a minimum planer , if I had the cash I'd get the 20" Griz.

I'd pass on that DeWalt we have one at work it's maybe had some hard use but it is all but "useless" IMO.

A planer really should be a stationary tool , mass is your friend. The spiral cutter heads are very nice as well.

Good luck with what you decide on.

I've never heard anyone say "I wish I had bought a smaller planer", so get the biggest one you can afford and have the space for. That said, a lot of guys do really nice work with the 12-13" inch lunchbox planers...I think they are one of the great tool inventions. You might find a time ot two they aren't adequate, but generally they'll do whatever a hobbyist needs.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

What is your budget?

What is your application - how much are you going to use the planer in a week or a month?

What size boards do you plan on using for your projects?

I had a Dewalt 735 and was very happy with it. Now I have a General 14" planer. Completely different machine. 3hp, Byrd head. It's apples and oranges.

If you can afford a floor model, get one.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I have a 13" lunchbox. I am saving for a Grizzly 15".

I would only use a lunchbox planer if I had no other choice. I like my tools to have plenty of power,and those planers don't. I have a 5 hp, 20" spiral head and it doesn't have enough power to suit me. I have tripped the breaker many times because I am feeding it too hard.

I'd like to have a $2000 planer, a $5000 table saw, a $3000 jointer, etc..., BUT I have the 13" Dewalt and it's fine for what I do. This is a hobbie for me, not a career! Now, if you can afford this stuff then by all means go for it.

You are starting out and have a lot of questions and this is the place to get lots of answers. Unfortunately there are not any definite answers as each person has different requirements, budget, plans, space, etc. Keep asking questions, read the responses, research the archives, and you'll make the decisions you need to make.

My 12.5" DeWalt has been a workhorse. I keep a spare set of blades sharp and ready to swap. There are those who will spend ALL your money, but just decide how much capacity you will need. How many times will ya need to plane wider than 10-12 inches? I have built some really nice stuff without industrial rated machines.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Scott - looks like you are gearing up!! Enjoy it!! Unlike my reply re: jointer, I started with a 15" planer. Wouldn't change it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Scott:

look into the Grizzly 12" jointer planer combo. It could save you some money, and give you a nice size jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Scott:

look into the Grizzly 12" jointer planer combo. It could save you some money, and give you a nice size jointer.
    Jacob, I was looking at the combo joiner/planer....Grizz 12" sells for $1,895 but doesn't have parallelogram beds nor spiral cutter. Model w/spiral cutter is $2,395! Not sure if I'm really saving money. Big advantage would be space savings....my shop is small.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

How important are parallelogram beds? If so important, why aren't all new jointers built this way? I could use some guidance on the value of parallelogram beds. How do they benefit the user? Also, I've read elsewhere that spiral cutters can leave marks or grooves on the surface of the wood. Anyone here noticing this? Is it a real problem?
    Scott Vroom

Scott;
    I've had the Griz. 12" J/P for over a year and after initial set up, I've never moved the table on the Joiner.
    In my use, I'm not sure that the parallelogram movement is worth it.
    In my experience, the spiral cutter does leave some marks, but they are easily removed with the sander.
    If space is a consideration, look at the combo units. As a hobbyist they work well for me.
    Good luck.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Jacob, I was looking at the combo joiner/planer....Grizz 12" sells for $1,895 but doesn't have parallelogram beds nor spiral cutter. Model w/spiral cutter is $2,395! Not sure if I'm really saving money. Big advantage would be space savings....my shop is small.
    I think the big advantage is not only space savings, but a 12" jointer as well. Since you were looking for a jointer, I just thought it might be a worthwhile option to look into.

Spiral Heads

You know, as nice as the spiral heads are, they are not necessary. Straight blades were there long before spiral was. People did real good stuff with them for a long time. I have a 6" spiral Grizzly jointer. I love it. I would like to go bigger sometime. I also have a Dewalt 735 that has straight blades. When the knives were new it was real nice, but as time went on and the oak knots went through, they got a little dinged up. But the marks that it leaves are nothing that a little 120 grit cant take care of. Sure it would be nice to go right to the 220, but hey, its a hobby. All in all, I think that you would be fine getting a bench top unit. But if you do go with a benchtop unit, I say go splurge for the DW735. It is well worth it. I am glad that I bought mine. Good luck with your research and let us know what you end up doing.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Isaacson; 10-03-2009 at 9:58 PM.