Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Hand made"

I think most of us laser operators would find it impossible to do what what we do without hands.
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Lasers are too computerized with no human intervention. Mine will design it’s own pattern, sand the wood, vector cut & raster precise detail, re-sand, stain and apply finish, package it, bill the customer & ship the product while I read the morning paper. Doesn’t your laser do that?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by John Barton View Post
    Consumers and some producers seem to think that "made by hand" is somehow "the best".
    There's an effect in play that I call "virtue through tedium", as if arthritis and eyestrain is essential to the production of "true art".

I find it ironic that in extremely high-tech industries, there is a strong trend toward raising 'process' to the level of a religion. In both cases, the path taken ends up being more important than the destination.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Lasers are too computerized with no human intervention. Mine will design it’s own pattern, sand the wood, vector cut & raster precise detail, re-sand, stain and apply finish, package it, bill the customer & ship the product while I read the morning paper. Doesn’t your laser do that?
    Nah, I was too cheap to buy all the options.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    With all due respect to the scrollsaw folks, I don't think you CAN do this kind of work without a tool like the laser. This earring is only about 30mm/1" high. People seem to think they are pretty, and at least in coconut shell, I don't know how you could do it "by hand."
    John,

See my previous post about the guy in the Bahamas...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

As a person who spent 50 years doing things the hard way (hand painting, hand carving, hand engraving, hand lettering, hand sanding, hand polishing, etc.) I can tell you it's highly over rated. In the days before electric tools, it was impressive to be able to make something "by hand", meaning with hand held tools. Yes there is satisfaction to hand made objects, but as a money making business, there is little satisfaction. While people "value" the concept of hand made, they do not want to pay for the hours it takes to make something by hand nor for the years of training required. Somehow, they are fine paying a plumber (fill in # of $$) to show up and then more $$ to do a job, but feel you as a skilled artisan should work for nothing. I think they should be at least equal. The same goes for teaching. You have to get a Master's degree (and lots of debt) just to start your first job and somehow you're overpaid, so says the factory line worker making more per hour than a teacher.

Now we have electronic tools and lasers. People are impressed by septic tank installers who use "lasers" and pay big bucks there for nothing more than a good level. I have come to the conclusion that the less your customers know about your process the better. Even as a mural painter, I find people thinking it is "easy" for you if you can paint as they watch. How they can justify this and in the next moment be impressed by a golfer who "makes it look easy" amazes me.

Okay, that's more than two cents worth, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

The only time the L word seems to work to advantage is when precision and repeatability is an asset to the finished product. Dee has it right, usually the less the customer knows about how you do what you do, the better.
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

You right Dee!

I'm sure every era went through this when "new" technologies came along.

Not since early man have things actually been hand made.

Early man farmed, grew, harvested or killed his materials himself.

I don't know many scroll sawers (sorry scroll saw guys and gals your group is one we can relate to) that actually grew the tree finished the wood, made the blades for cutting and then crafted the final piece. We do have some scroll sawers on base that have peddle powered saws, similar to a stationary excersize bike that peddling provides the blade movement. (It's a good thing we don't have to peddle power our lasers!)

Photography was considered a novelty as much as digital photography is today.

Instead of hand made which at a minimum is a misnomer, I go with
    "Hand Crafted"

Just some thoughts,

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries

He has a cousin in Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    During my last trip to the Bahamas about a year ago, there was a gentleman on the streets using a fine coping saw to cut out designs... very intricate designs... out of pewter spoons, silver dollars, etc. I estimate it took him several hours to cut out the larger designs, and he was selling his stuff for $30-$50. Tough to compete with that kind of pricing, and he did requests.
    While my wife and I were in Cancun 2 years ago, we saw his cousin doing the same thing on coins. He had a whole bunch that were on display. He was actually taking request as well. He made a Broken Heart penadant with a couples intials in a quarter. When finished, he had two pieces that fit together perfectly from the same quarter. It took him about 20 minutes total and he only charged the guy 20 bucks. My wife and I were so amazed we searched the internet and finally found the tools he was using. An ebay search of "Jewelers Saw" will put you in the right direction. He also had a clamp that he attached to the table. There was a small pair of vise grips welded to the clamp with a rubber tip.

If the lasers can cut through coins it is just a matter of time before these things are everywhere.

If you Google Coin Cutting you will find links like this one.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/shoporego...ants_on_e.html

I get the same huff from people with my CNC machines and laser scanner. I can reproduce just about any piece of furniture 1 time or 1,000 times and the only time people care is when our hand carver puts the finishing touches on stuff. I'm just the computer geek!

Dee, I liked your perspective on the whole hand made thing. It reminds me of the debate between film and digital cameras! If you really want to get people fighting in a photo forum, just post this question, "Which is better, Canon or Nikon?" Or, "will digital replace film?" People wiil come to cyberblows in minutes over these!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    John,

See my previous post about the guy in the Bahamas...
    Yes but the detail in the butterfly (not really shown by the picture) has holes that are less than 0.5mm. (You can barely see through them - and only against light.) That would take a VERY small scroll sawblade - or Dremel bit. Personally, I've never seen quite that level of detail achieved mechanically.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

"By hand" is changing. For example, writing a letter by hand has changed dramatically since the quill. In future generations, cursive handwriting will become a rare quality. Think of all the gadgets kids use these days to communicate. The only time they actually write (cursive or print) is to jot down quick notes.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

In the UK there is a "Craft and Design Council" which showcases craft and helps would-be crafters into the "trade" (with some money available for grants etc.).

Their handbook is quite enlightening : they require that -

1 The design is original.
    2 The designer supervises all stages of manufacture.
    3 The designer performs and/or supervises the final assembly of the piece.

They specifically state that the manufacturing can be performed by ANYBODY, including non-"craft" commercial companies.

Unfortunately, the general public doesn't see craft that way .....

Then there is the artist that uses a dremel and cuts very intricate designs into egg shells. Anyone here with a rotary wanna empty and dry and eggshell and give it a shot?

Here's a link...

http://theeggshellsculptor.com/

Maybe we can sell 'em on ebay (LOL).

Blog Entries

I'll add it to my list of things...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    Then there is the artist that uses a dremel and cuts very intricate designs into egg shells. Anyone here with a rotary wanna empty and dry and eggshell and give it a shot?

Here's a link...

http://theeggshellsculptor.com/

Maybe we can sell 'em on ebay (LOL).
    Mark,

I'll add it to my list of things to do before I die. I am doing a pumpkin this weekend for a quick Halloween Video. Egg shells on a CNC 4th Axis? If you know anything about me, you know I gotta try it!!!!

32nd inch ball mills... get ready to rock!!!!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

I had a judge at one of the art shows ask how I did my work. (I use CNC router and laser) Explained that I cut and engraved the wood. She told me that since it is obvious to her that I use a CNC router and laser, that it is not hand crafted. They were ready to throw me out of the show.

I had a discussion with the people who run the show. I explained that because I cut with a CNC router and not a table or band saw, what is the difference. We are both cutting our own designs out of wood. Are you going to penalize me because I figured out a quicker way to do the work? Their response was that CNC routers and lasers were not standard woodworking equipment. I asked them if their kitchen cabinets were made from wood? They said yes. Well then, those are cut with a CNC machine. As far as lasers, they are used in almost aspects of woodworking.

Long story short, I got to stay and make my money.
    PS: I did get invited back the next year as well.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks