Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another take on the fliptop stand

Another take on the fliptop stand

So I decided to make a fliptop stand for my planer and chop saw. Especially the planer as I was getting very tired of lifting that thing. Looked at the pictures on the web of other peoples efforts and couldn't figure out why they didn't add infeed and outfeed tables/supports so I designed my version with folding tables. I was sure I was going to find out the hard way that there was a good reason I didn't see anybody else doing it.... But it turned out pretty good. (they also line up with the chop saw)

I included a cad drawing I used to make stand and some pictures

Notes:
    I made the flip table eccentric to accommodate the different heights of the tools...big mistake...see giant slots in side of case because the position of the locking knobs changes.

The table was purposely set low so I could shim the tools up to level with the tables.

If I built it again the side tables would fold over the top of the cart (L shaped if that makes sense).....that way you would only have to concern yourself with the tables and the tool.....not table/tool/edge of stand.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/DEANDE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/DEANDE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sweet. If you're like me you will love that thing.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is one nice looking flip top, I really like the in and out feed tables. I have a Ridgid but I just make have to take the ones that are on it off and make some bigger ones the fold down.

Nice job. Could you show a little more detail of those knobs that lock the table top?

Stand

Dean,that is well design and your CAD drawning as well.Alot of time well spent.Thanks for the pics---Carroll

Replies

Doug - The knobs are not my invention and are uber-clever. They are an eye bolt with a hardware store knob.

Carroll - Thanks for the nod on the cad....I was a designer for many years and that is less than an hours work. Now if only I could get that good at making the stuff I draw!

Nice one!!

Can you zoom in on the knob? I can't tell from the picturs how it works.

Thanks, Doug

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    Can you zoom in on the knob? I can't tell from the picturs how it works.

Thanks, Doug

Appears to be like mine more or less . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...3&d=1217701642

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...4&d=1217701642

HTH.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn,

Now I get it!

That is really cool. I am going to build one for me and I don't like the thought of using a peice of wood. I like the idea of two tools also. I was going to make mine so it rolls under a counter but now I'm not sure.

For what it is worth I like to keep my tools high...my 49.2 year old back doesn't like bending all day. Also....make sure you calculate the swing of the top/tool before you make it any lower.....You will be surprised at how much height you need.

I'm going to build it for my disc sander. I use it for grinding recoil pads. you really need to be looking down at it when grinding so it would be good if it were a little lower.

That's not a half bad idea. Extra table for both the chop saw and the planer.

That's great. I've been planning to do almost the exact same thing for my 735, only sharing the stand with a belt/disc sander. How effective do you find the adjustable infeed/outfeed tables to be at controlling snipe?

~g

Honestly....I haven't been in my shop since I finished this project....though I ran a couple test boards and they came out looking perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Lyons View Post
    That's great. I've been planning to do almost the exact same thing for my 735, only sharing the stand with a belt/disc sander. How effective do you find the adjustable infeed/outfeed tables to be at controlling snipe?

~g