Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finished Product of HF Color Experiment

Finished Product of HF Color Experiment

Here is the finished version of this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121497

The hollow form is Maple, 7" in diameter x 3 1/2" high x 1/8" thick, dyed with Black, Teal and Yellow RIT powdered clothing dyes mixed with denatured alcohol (DNA). It has several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly and will get buffed after at least a week curing time.
    HF Color v1.JPG HF Color v2.JPG HF Color v3.JPG HF Color v4.JPG HF Color v5.JPG

So, what do you think? Is it worth playing around with this dye stuff or should I stick with natural wood?

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a beauty Steve. The poly really makes it stand out. I would say you did well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It is always good to try out new ideas. We all learn from them. In this case, I would say the results were well worth your effort. Great job.

Steve,

I'll be frank with you. I saw the original post about the dyeing process....and my initial thought was.........Uh......Not for me.....

But now that I have seen the final product. I like it! Very nice!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Guess I have a bit of "Ken" in me. I too looked at the process, all the colors going on in seperate stages, and did not hold much hope of a success. Boy, was I wrong! That piece is one of those love it or hate it things and I just love the color and the depth of the finish. Grand piece Steve and well worth the time and effort invested. Went back to your album and decided the "candy apple red" is even better than when I first saw it. Will this be another entry to the show? Should be, it is gorgeous,...Bill..

Steve,
    All I can say is AWESOME!! It will be a even bigger hit around March 17th.
    Jack

Wonderful piece, it certainly came out better than I expected after seeing the in progress pics. Apparently the last tweak with the teal dye put it over the top. It certainly doesn't hurt that the form and quality of the work and the wood itself are all top notch.

Extremely successful! Joe L. would be proud of you. Time to get more colors? Maybe try one of those larger hf's that are clogging up the house? Just a thought.
    Richard in Wimberley

very nice

Steve i like it! I think that you should do both. Maple is a good fit for the dye. I have to try that also looks good.
    Keep up the experiments ! G

I like it very much! I think it was well worth your efforts, it's beautiful!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Steve, that piece turned out really well. The color and depth is beyond words. I hope you enter it in the show. I know you worked hard on it and those efforts paid off. I'm on the way to the store to get coffee and Rit dye.
    Eugene in NC

It's called creativity and you did a great job! Some wood just cries out for some help and you now know what it takes! Wow!!!

I like it a ton!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Here is the finished version of this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121497
    Is it worth playing around with this dye stuff or should I stick with natural wood?
    Definitely worth playing around with. Just keep good notes with a pic of the final piece attached. When I play with something new that requires multiple steps, I can't remember how I got the final result. The notes will help. By the way nice piece.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post

So, what do you think? Is it worth playing around with this dye stuff or should I stick with natural wood?

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Absolutely! That's really great. You managed to keep the characteristics of the wood, while adding the interesting color shading.
    Blessings, Steve