Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Finished Product of HF Color Experiment

Attachment 200971Attachment 200971I've just now seen this thread for the first time, and suggest that another variation is to first apply a wash of black acrylic paint pigment diluted to taste with alcohol, then sand back before applying a second coat of another color. The acrylic pigments are light safe, cheap, and available in a rainbow of colors. The black really adds depth to the figure of the wood, then a good gloss finish really finishes it off.

Blog Entries
    Jamie,

Other than it being dye rather than acrylic paint, that sounds exactly like what Steve did... any advantage to the acrylic over dye?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

GO FOR IT..looks super. I think Joe Landon does dye well too..his hollow forms have stood out for a long time.

Steve,

I'm glad this was brought back to the top, as I have really admired your and Joe's dyed work. If I recall correctly, you have switched from the RIT dyes to something more colorfast. If that is right, can you remind me what it is? I want to try this when I work my way through my current walnut pile and get back to some lighter woods.

Jon

I don't know about the archival qualities of the RIT fabric dyes, and many of the aniline dyes used by woodworkers for years are not at all light safe. Acrylic paint and drawing ink pigments are quite light tolerant without fading, and anyone working with color should consider the light resistance of the materials they're using.

Jon - I am using TransTint dyes at this time because I could pick them up while in St. Paul. I am sure there must be better options and may try some of the pigments Jamie has been talking about.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Not only is it beautiful,it has great shape!One thing i feel certain about, is the dye popped the grain much more than if it was un-dyed.

Jamie, when using the acrylic paint do you still get the same grain pop on curly lumber?

Blog Entries
    Steve, do you have a link to a site that has instructions on how to get my jaw off the floor? That is absolutely magnificent. You never cease to amaze me. This one is a real show stopper for sure. I was planning on using some dye on my next project. You've truly inspired me to do so.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Steve,
    I've seen some posts where people don't like the color but I'm not one of them. That is simply beautiful. I haven't tried the multi color technique but it's on my list. Nice work. Oh, and the form is beautiful too.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Steve
    You know I love to use color's in most of my work. I think your on the right track here & I really like the piece. However I would like to see a second color for some contrast. Maybe a little black or gold around the opening. Just a thought.

Joe - there are 3 colors in the piece already and if I remember correctly (this thread is 3 years old) I let the wood dictate which color would come to the forefront.

Was great spending time with you at the symposium - hope to be able to do that again soon!
    Steve

I need my eyes checked, even though you used 3 colors to get the finished color it looks predominately green to me.
    I also had a great time talking with you & hope that someday we can spend some more time together. I hope you don't blame me for spending so much money on the Robust after our little talk....
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Joe - there are 3 colors in the piece already and if I remember correctly (this thread is 3 years old) I let the wood dictate which color would come to the forefront.

Was great spending time with you at the symposium - hope to be able to do that again soon!

The piece is predominately green - nothing wrong with your eyes! When viewed in person, green is predominate, then teal and last is black. You do get varying intensities of color, depending on endgrain or facegrain. This piece is still in my possession and remains one of my favorites. You have to see the color and the curl together to really appreciate the piece!

I had my mind made up about the Robust months before the symposium! Still, it is nice to get the perspective of those that have used one! Just confirmed that I was making the right decision!
    Steve