Thread: Metal cutting on bandsaw?

Metal cutting on bandsaw?

Is there any reason that I can't put a metal cutting blade on a standard bandsaw and cut thin metal?

I wouldn't do it unless your bandsaw has a way that you can change the speed. Metal cutting bandsaws generally run at a much slower speed than those made for sawing wood.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Works fine for non-ferrous metals.
    I cut a lot of aluminum and brass on my old 14" Delta using a regular wood cutting skip tooth blade. Other than the mess, it worked just fine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Aluminum, brass and plastic are OK. And for some reason I don't know, if you put clear packing tape over the cut line the blade runs cooler. Really obvious when cutting plastics. Eliminates re-welding behind the blade.

You can cut non-ferrous metals just fine using a high tooth count blade. You can cut ferrous metals if you can slow down the speed of the blade.
    Howie.........

Thanks for the responses. I knew I could count on this forum for good advise. Actually it is my wife who wants to cut (on my bandsaw) some sheet copper for jewelry. Based on the replies, I will let her give it a try.

Make sure you close up the throat so the sheet stuff is VERY well supported right there at the point the blade contacts - it can pull down pretty hard and if your sheet isn't rigid enough, there could be some nasty surprises!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

If it is very thin stock it sometimes helps to cut it on a peice of plywood or other scrap for better support right at the cut too. Have fun and be careful.
    Robbie

The copper may want to clog the gullets of the blade. If it does, it will make a lousy cut. A blade brush would help. A plywood backer board under the copper may help clean off the blade.

John

Also make sure you clean the tires. Metal chips and plastic/rubber tires make for a bumpy ride...will also void warranty if you still have one.
    Mickey