Thread: Shaker step and new favorite saw

Shaker step and new favorite saw

Just finished the standard Shaker step stool. Most seem to make the sides dark and the treads lighter, but this is for the shop (and an excuse for more dovetails) so I decided to use some #3 common maple for the sides and walnut for the treads. Also hand cut the thru wedged mortise and tenons. Several design changes presented themselves during construction, my fault (mortise on different side of the layout line from inside to outside).

I decided to cut the tails with my Adria small tenon saw instead of the dovetail saw. It was great, fast cutting, straight, became my favorite saw. But when cutting the pins, the extra length seemed to magnify small errors in cutting, had to pare more than my last several projects.

This project seems so simple, but it really kicked my butt. 3/4 plus thick material is unforgiving when it comes to fit of the joints, and small errors become bigger in thicker stock. I find it hard to mark the pins from the tails (London pattern) in the thicker material. You just can't quite see what you are marking, and the thin marking knife seems more prone to error. The last several projects have been small boxes in 5/16-3/8 thick stock.

One coat of BLO so far, plan wax since this will get used as a step stool. Height is perfect for sitting, and plan to use top as my saw bench.

Thanks for looking, feedback for version 2.0 is welcome.
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful job on the step stool Gary.
    Love the tiny pins....

Thanks for giving us a look see.

Blog Entries
    Looks great.

With the small pins, it may be easier to do the pins first.

Tails first has usually been my way, but recent practice has had me trying both ways. There are advantages to each which is why the two ways will always be used.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is almost to nice for a shop tool(stool). good work!

Wonderful work, Gary! The trip to Canada was money well spent. And, using walnut and maple is nearly a guaranteed success in style. It may be biblical (have to check ), but I think God ordained that these woods be combined in woodworking projects

Gary,
    I've just cut my first handcut dovetails. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped. You can just imagine my appreciation for your latest effort.

Well Done!!

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Way to rub it in Gary! I am continuously reminded of my missed trip to Calgary. Nice work. I made the same stool a couple months back only with dovetails for the stretchers (instead of the M&T). My two year old uses it to wash her hands at the bathroom sink. Let's hope those DTs hold :-)
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Very, very nice! Gives me ideas for some walnut & curly maple I have on the rack!

Gary,
    Love the DT's and the M&T's...looking fantastic!!

Jim

Hey I want one of those too. Nice work, love those dovetails
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.