Thread: Going away bowls: TimberStrand and LVL

Going away bowls: TimberStrand and LVL

Been away from the lathe for a while doing house repairs over the summer. It sure felt good to do some turning!

While waiting to apply the finish to peppermills #112 & 113 I was asked by my boss to turn a couple of bowls as going away gifts for his boss. I chose to turn them from products he worked on developing during his career at Weyerhaeuser. The first bowl came from a TimberStrand iBrace that we tested in our lab. The bowl is 11″ wide x 3.5″ deep and 7/16″ wall thickness and finished with walnut oil/carnauba wax. The second bowl was made from laminated pieces of LVL (laminated veneer lumber). It is 9.5″ wide x 5.5″ deep and 3/8″ wall thickness. I am not real happy with the tearout on this bowl, but since LVL is a construction grade product the veneers have some bad checking and voids not leaving much support for a good cut. I hope to practice more and get a better cut on this material. I finished this bowl with satin wipe-on polyurethane. I wanted the note and signature on the bottom to look more professional so I found a local laser engraver. I really love how the engraving turned out on the bottoms.

Let me know what you think!

Attached Images Attached Images

very cool bowls. cool use of different materials.

bowls

Really unique pieces. That ought to be a great reminder of his career. Nice job with a tough product.

Real nice work Keith! The LVL orientation is pretty cool! Brian must have been thrilled to get these! I am sure all your efforts were appreciated!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really nice pieces Keith. I am sure he will appreciate and cherish them.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kieth, awesome bowls. I have turned 2 bowls out of timberstrand. I use the Truss cord at work. It is very hard to turn and get a good surface. My other problem was gatting enough glue wehn gluing together the layers. Keep up the Great work.

nice bowls, love the timberstrand.

Beautiful works of art. Love the patterns.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

i did a couple peices like them. for the tear out, i left the bowl a little thicker than normal, like 1/8'' per side, then filled in any voids or tear out with epoxy, then made a finishing cut, worked alot better.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Great job Keith. That was a good idea to use a material that he helped develope. I'm sure he will enjoy them.
    Eugene in NC

Excellent job with the beam material. I have some and I've worked with it but I think I'll give it to someone I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    i did a couple peices like them. for the tear out, i left the bowl a little thicker than normal, like 1/8'' per side, then filled in any voids or tear out with epoxy, then made a finishing cut, worked alot better.
    Curtis,

Great idea! Any recommendations on epoxy to use?

Thanks,
    Keith

i used the 2 part stuff that sets in like 5minutes, it was like $2 at the store. i used clear, i guess you could use other colors. it also helps if you finish the outside before you do the inside. if you noticed, the walls on the bowl flew alot. so turn the outside and finish it, which depending on the finish will add a little more strength. then turn the inside.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!