Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dewalt DW618PK vs. Bosch 1617EVSPK

My 1617 is still going strong. I haven't purchased another DeWalt router.

+1 Dewalt no contest.

Jack

Owned a Dewalt 618 and thought I would try the Bosch 1617. Did not like the smooth wood handles & the high center of gravity. Returned the Bosch & ordered another Dewalt 618. Balance & handling difference were my issues.

+1 for Bosch.
    Dewalt motor is a piece of troubles. It has a common problem in magnetic ring that breaks constantly and can damage the motor armature (the most expensive part of motor). I didn't have good experience with DW618.

OK, my 2 cents...
    For small bits like dovetails & spirals, as well as small edge shaping bits, I love my DWP611PK. If you can get by with 1/4" bits, this is an amazing little router!
    Like you, I have a dedicated PC7518 in my table. Then I have my trusty old 2 1/4hp Craftsman Professional Series, with fixed, plunge, and pistol grip bases. But I had the opportunity to try out the PC version of the DPW611 and fell in love. It's light, but yet feels solid. I use it far more than my Craftsman now. The only drawback is being stuck using 1/4" bits.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I have the Bosch 1617EV. I use it mostly in my router table. It does adjust from above the table with the included wrench, but I never do because you still have to unlock/lock it from below, and move the coarse adjust release, too, at least until you get in the right range. But that's not a big deal to me. It's about a year old now and has run flawlessly in both the fixed and plunge base. The electronic speed regulation is top notch. The wooden handles are poor IMO compared to many others but not a big deal. What is a big deal is if you want to spin large diameter raised panel bits. The 1617 can handle bits larger than 2-1/2", nearly 2-3/4" IIRC. Not many other routers have that much clearance in the base.

John

I have the Bosch 1617. It was my first router. I've put it through its paces (hobbyist) and it has performed like a champ. I love this router. The housing did corrode, but Bosch replaced it and since I've had no issues.

I've had the DW618 Kit with all three bases for years. While most work gets done with my Festool routers, I really like the DW618 and the D-Handle and Fixed bases are very, very stable for when that's important, such as when using a dovetail jig.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...