Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corel tip for sharing files

Corel tip for sharing files

Save your corel files to CMX instead of CDR and you won't need to worry about which version it's in. CMX is the Corel Exchange Format and it's seems to be version independent.

I have sent files done in v.13 to people running v.8 and they have been able to open them.

Saves me a lot of hassle because I used to have to ask people which version they have and save to that version.

That is a great find if it'll really work with all versions. If you're working with X4 how about posting a test file for those of us who don't have X4 to try.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Be aware... some of the more advanced features will not transfer using that format (or they'll be "flattened", so to speak).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    That is a great find if it'll really work with all versions. If you're working with X4 how about posting a test file for those of us who don't have X4 to try.
    I don't use x4 - if I could I'd prefer to go back to v9 as I hate x3. I don't understand why each version of Corel has change things that worked "for the better" and in reality they aren't better. The only reason I don't go back is that I have thousands of files in v13 right now and I don't want to go through them all and save them to v9 or cmx. My latest problem after the last crash is that the color pallet will NOT SAVE so each time I close Corel and reopen it I have to call up the color pallet AGAIN.

Someone else can do it though - just pick a drawing and save it as a CMX and see what happens.

My drawings don't get flattened when I send them out this way - all the layers are intact. I send cmx to the factories I deal with because every one of them works on different versions of Corel than I have - it's inevitable.

Ok.. Here's a test for you.. The Aztec Calendar saved to a .cmx from X4 and put in a .zip file
    If it works with this, it should work with anything
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Opens fine in v11. Looks fine at x400.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Ok.. Here's a test for you.. The Aztec Calendar saved to a .cmx from X4 and put in a .zip file
    If it works with this, it should work with anything
    Worked for me too - this is the message I got when opening it -

So I don't know how complex it might have been but the file I got is perfectly engravable and unless someone tells me I can use I am going to burn it on something next week :-)

Thanks Bill!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Works fine in X3.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

What version are you running John? That message probably only means something when opening complex fills/layers etc.. The aztec file, though very detailed, as far as it goes, it's still a simple black and white vector file, that should be no more or less version demanding than any other file we would need..
    I'm just glad it did not blow up in my face and deny me access to a possible 72 versions
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

I got the same warning message. But all looks fine.
    Art

Using x3 and got the same message. File looks fine.
    Laser Products Direct
    Jerry Hewett
    GCC SpiritGX 40W
    EngraveLab Laser
    PhotoGrav
    CorelDraw X3
    Metalphoto Converter
    Brother GT-541 Garment Printer
    Epson Stylus Pro Printer 9700 (44")

X3

What version are you running John? That message probably only means something when opening complex fills/layers etc.. The aztec file, though very detailed, as far as it goes, it's still a simple black and white vector file, that should be no more or less version demanding than any other file we would need..
    I'm just glad it did not blow up in my face and deny me access to a possible 72 versions
    X3 - this was my point that for most files we would be using the CMX file format seems to work just fine across versions. In China it's totally across the board as to what they are running so I send CMX and it all works out.

I found this out by accident. I was having a crazy time trying to get some files to one factory - they even had X3 and couldn't open my cdr files. So I thought I'd try the CMX format and it worked. Since then - it's all CMX baby and no more hassles with any of them. Once in a while I forget and sure enough the answer comes back that they can't open my file.....

Now, someone tell me how to get my color pallets to stay in place?

My computer crashed hard a month ago and I had to reinstall Corel. Since then my color pallet will NOT stay in place. Every time I close Corel it goes away and when I reopen it I have to go to window/colorpallets and choose the one I want. (I use the cymk pallet mostly). No matter what I do - save the workspace etc... it still goes away. Everything else stays where I put it.

Any help would be great - I have scoured the web looking for an answer and give up after about 30 minutes of searching.

John

Under tools, Save settings as default.. That 'should' save everything you have set..

Under tools, Save settings as default.. That 'should' save everything you have set..
    Yeah....it should. But it doesn't. That's what I did first. I don't know, I am either overlooking something else or it's a bug. I have to say that this time I tricked Corel a bit and copied over all my pallets and configurations, first time I did that on a reinstall and everything BUT the pallets showed up exactly as I had it in the previous installation. Even my palletes are there with the custom colors but they don't stay docked.

I don't know what to do. It's just another quirk of Corel I have to live with. The past year or so it also has acquired the habit of randomly not rendering anymore. So I will be happily working and suddenly everything will go blank. I save the file - exit and reopen and it's all there. This can happen at any time for no particular reason that I can figure out. And it happens across computers and only with 13.

Hi John,

I was really suffering to save in corel 11 , and once forget to save, the service provider should have v14 else, i have to save again

this cmx idea is very helpful and thanks a lot for sharing

Regards,
    Saravanakumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD