Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I shouldn't have done this......

I shouldn't have done this......

As some of you know, I am new to the round world, and recently got a cheap lathe to do legs, etc. for my furniture projects. So far, I have viewed the lathe as just a tool to "mill" one more component for a particular piece of furniture.

I brought down some walnut (favorite wood!) from the barn for a table I want to build. My thought is to do the legs and top in walnut, with curly maple aprons and some walnut accents.

Given that I had only turned some pine and poplar for practice, I knew I needed quite a bit of practice on walnut before getting serious about this table.

Took the hatchet and split out a piece from some scrap, and did a few coves and beads. The walnut was sweet to turn - so much better than the pine and poplar! My next thought was, "I bet this will finish out nice."

I sanded it, and applied a little BLO, burnished it with some chips from the turning, applied a couple coats of shellac very quickly, and then some paste wax - total time for turning and finish probably 20 minutes.
    WALNUT SPOOL.jpg
    This ain't much for you guys, but for a flat worker like me, this is really exciting!! I love walnut, and now I love ROUND walnut!!

I shouldn't have done this.... I feel a strange spinning feeling....could this be the VORTEX??!!??

Uh oh... hear that sound John? That's the vortex and resist all you want, you'll soon find yourself hopelessly caught.

Walnut is one of my favorites too!

John - you were warned because it has happened to all of us! Something about having a finished product in hand in just a few minutes sure is nice for a change! It does get addicting and the more you 'practice' - the more you are hooked!

Welcome to the Vortex!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

4. John, you are doomed....doooooooooomed I tell you.

Brendan

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm a box guy and totally understand where John is coming from.... I've been tempted to get this square peg to fit in to a round hole.... as I sure have enough scraps laying around to be made in to something! Ebony, Cocobolo, the list goes on and on.... I just don't know what to make with it.

This is going to be interesting, John! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

John,

Beware...a tight fitting mt joint is so satisfying....four miters without a gap, a thing of wonderment and a good self tap on the back....but beware of the vortex! Square can seem like, well square! Beware John.

John, I warned you earlier that you only THINK that you will only do spindle for your furniture work. Although what you have shown us with the walnut is a pretty good piece of work, I have a feeling that you will be giving away some bowls for Christmas this year.

Ah yes, the sucking sound has doomed another.............

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

YOUR IN and theres no getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post

Ah yes, the sucking sound has doomed another.............

Tony
    +1

...and many, many, many others....

We honestly forgot to tell you something John. Pine and poplar are great practice woods because they are cheap and readily available. But....hardwoods are actually easier to turn and are prettier and more fun....

Welcome to the Vortex John!

Once you can get a good clean cut on pine or poplar, usually walnut...any hardwood will turn even better. Oak and it's coarse grain can be a little more challenging but it's the nature of oak.

Turning can be the closest thing to instant gratification!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"You can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave"

Like I told Mike in the thread he started...you guys are like drug pushers!!!!
    You're evil, I tell you - you all are!!

I refuse to get sucked in, I refuse to get......

The moment you realize the gratification from turning is quicker than flat work, it's all over....

You've crossed the event horizon...now there is no turning back!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan McAreavy View Post
    John, you are doomed....doooooooooomed I tell you.

Brendan
    Yes, so dooomed, but its ok. We enjoy the company!!!!!!!!!!!!!