Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick disconnect for dust collection hose?

quick disconnect for dust collection hose?

I am fininshing the insulation of my cyclone and have several 5" dropps I was looking for some sort of 5" quick dissconect for the hose so I can change hoses fast if need be. Sometimes I use a floor sweep thing or move a machine outside it would be nice to simply plug in a longer hose without having to undo hose clamps etc since it is so tuff to get thoes hoses on and off.
    Last edited by jason lambert; 10-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    -=Jason=-

Woodcraft has these, not sure if that's what your looking for though.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003947/2003947.aspx

I don't have my dust system permanetly mounted so I use the quck disconnects to go from the dust collector to whatever tool I'm using.

These also are 4" I believe but if you can find the manufactur and ask them if they make 5" ??
    Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Rockler has this system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

When I read the title to this thread, I thought you were talking about compressed air hoses, not dust collection hoses...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Me to, what David said.

Sam

changed the title to be more clear sorry, air pressure hose would be easy.
    -=Jason=-

I'm not sure I have seen a quick disconnect system for anything other than 4".

I looked at the FazLock (sp?) system. It appears to be two pieces that slip one inside the other. One piece has a pin and the other a mating L-Shaped cut. One of my down the road plans (when I finally by a real DC with real 5 and/or 6" ducting) is to make my own. I can't imagine it's that hard. For the pin, a shoulder bolt. Making the L-shaped cut on the router table or with a dremel tool. The mating ends of PVC could be shined and polished on a lathe or by hand so the slide together easy but make an air tight seal. I've even toyed with the idea of cutting a groove in the inner piece and install an o-ring.

At work we use a lot of cam and groove couplings but not sure if they would be too heavy for what you are wanting to do. I was unsure if they came in 5" but I did quickly look at hoseXpress.com and they do have aluminum ones. You may be able to find them cheaper through Grainger or elsewhere though. Sometimes they are referred to as camlock fittings. Hope this helps.

Jason: What Anthony suggested re:Fazlok system is worth looking into. I ordered several 4" sets from Woodworker's Supply and just received them along with 2 self-cleaning blast gates but haven't yet installed them onto my machines and 2 hoses from my portable system. I believe you'll find the 5" size available. This should save a lot of time since all my machines are mobile in my garage shop. Good luck.
    Bruce

Check out Air Handling Systems. They have a quick disconnect for flex hose. I have one and it works great.

John

I needed some for my 2.5" system, so I just used PVC couplings and short pieces of pipe in the tube. Nice friction fit and the suction keeps them from falling out.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Blog Entries
    penn state has a system (that is simple but badly executed) that works for larger sizes using steel pipe..

After ordering it and thinking I can do better than that, my version that I use on my jointer after making a 6in duct port for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like you has to catches on the coupling. Do you think you need both or could you get away with only one? I only ask because the fazlok system appears (in the pictures because I have not actually seen them in person) to have only one pin for holding the piece together.

The Woodcraft (and it looks like the Rockler) is simply a friction-fit tapered section. It works well on runs that are near horizontal, but would never hold in a vertical drop. When there is no suction, it can be bumped loose even on a horizontal run. I do recall seeing a bayonet-style (pins and "L"-shaped slots -- push together, then rotate) quick disconnect from one of the popular woodworking retailers in the last month or two.

I keep a nut driver in my pocket. That's quick enough for me!!!