Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thin Maple Bowl

Thin Maple Bowl

Wanted to turn something that was a little different and this is the result. Finally got over treating each piece of wood I put on the lathe like it is the last piece of wood I have. I was determined to turn this bowl thin and I didn’t care if it blew up in the process. I am happy with the result!

Thin Maple bowl, 10 ½” diameter x 5 ¼” high. The rim is 3/16” and rapidly tapers to 1/8” for the rest of the bowl with the center bottom area a little thicker at ¼”. Sanded to 320 grit and has 3 of 7 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. It will get buffed after the poly cures.

Thin Maple Bowl v1.JPG Thin Maple Bowl v2.JPG Thin Maple Bowl v3.JPG Thin Maple Bowl v4.JPG Thin Maple Bowl v5.JPG

As always – your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You did a great job. You kept the shape very nice while making the walls thin, not an easy task.

Really nice work ! Was it green or already dried?

I like the fact that you did not let your mission to turn a thin bowl disrupt our plan to make a well balanced, formed, and finished bowl. Well done bowl Steve!

Thumbs up

That's a beauty Steve!!! Great job
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Yes Steve, that is a little scary getting the walls thin. I've had a few mishaps myself. I like the nice simple shape you did there and the grain is very interesting with the dark areas on top. Is that the end grain? Going thin is always a challenge but you did it.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

That's a good looking bowl Steve

Looks good Steve !

How does it feel compared to the usual bowls? Lighter (too light?) Fragile? Refreshing?

Will you do more this thin?

Just stop posting your turning pics please!

I keep looking at your guys turnings and am amazed at what you are able to turn out, and well I never had much interest in turning until now, my interest is starting to peek. I even caught myself looking a wood lathes on the Grizzly site last night.
    I am out of space in the wood shop but there is some space in the garage.
    Thank You
    Ed

Just stop posting your turning pics please!

I keep looking at your guys turnings and am amazed at what you are able to turn out, and well I never had much interest in turning until now, my interest is starting to peek. I even caught myself looking a wood lathes on the Grizzly site last night.
    I am out of space in the wood shop but there is some space in the garage.

Is it turned wet or dry? are you concerned with it cracking?
    Thank You
    Ed

Nice bowl Steve, looks good, and probably feels even better, I'm always surprised at the difference in weight, compared to a glass or ceramic/metal bowl
    Have fun and take care

Beautiful bowl as usual.

I wish to become half as skilled and talented as you, Steve! Beautiful bowl!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I do appreciate it!

The bowl was roughed out back in November '08, did the DNA soak and then wrapped and stored on a shelf in the shop. I hope that by turning the bowl a consistent thickness that it won't crack in the near future. The poly should help regulate any moisture fluctuations.

As far as weight - it is pretty light but doesn't feel fragile at all. The bowl actually is a pretty good size and being Maple, even when the walls are thin - it has a little weight to it.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve...thanks for your kind words when I joined up. I'm going to my first turning group meeting tomorrow. In about a hundred years I hope to be turning something like this.
    Thanks to you and all the others,
    Mickey