Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong???

All of the above advice is very good.

One observation, you are cutting cocobolo, a very hard wood! Chances are your tools are not staying sharp for very long. It is also a difficult wood to practice on. Practicing on softer woods ("firewood", above) is definitely a good way to go.

Good luck.

tim, are you using a 'standard' or 'fingernail' bowl gouge? i use a fingernail grind, and was having some of the same problems as you until i spoke to an aquaintence, Bill, who ownes the WoodCraft in Virginia Beach, VA. He told me to hold the gouge horzontal, with the flute turned at a 90 degree angle (being a righty, that meant the flute was open facing me). it worked wonders for me, and i learned how to bring the technique into my own. just keep the upper edge off the blank, and cut with the lower. hope this helps, mike

Take some pictures

Tim, If you could get someone to take some pictures of how you are presenting the gouge to the wood it would give me, at least, a better idea of your setup with the tools and wood. Everyones suggestions are great but by not being able to see what is happening at the time of the catch and where the catch is occurring we are all in the dark. The best suggestion is to get in touch with a more seasoned turner to show you some tips.

For Curtis, You can use whatever you want where ever you want so long as you have become competent with the tool in the situation you are choosing to use it in. Many people will use a spindle gouge inside a bowl for certain things so don't count things out with such certainty! For we have to go from stickmen to the Mona Lisa and to get there use everything inbetween!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Sounds like you tool rest is too high or low. Also you need to find the bevel on the tool, approach the wood with the bevel high on the wood and slowing bring the tool into the wood by keeping the bevel on the wood. Practice on some cheap wood. You are most likely getting a catch when you allow the bevel on the tool to drop down below center into the wood. Ride the bevel and do the woodworker dance by moving you body not the tool. Sound hard but it's not - you'll get it. No matter whether right or left hand. Right handed wood turners learn to turn with their left so that they can turn either right or left and verse for left handed turner. GOOD LUCk!!

Central Ct woodturners

I have just gotten into turning to the point that I fely I was fighting more than enjoying my shoptime. I have learned a ton throuhgh this site and joined the Central Ct Woodturners. I think I have learned more talking to experienced turners face to face than all the books and articles I have read. I would strongly suggest you attend one of our meetings. It be a great help to you I am sure.

Tim
    There is a woodturning club in East Hampton and another in Bethel, you seem to be in the middle between the two. I would suggest you find when they meet and go watch a demonstration. Most club have demonstrations and you can get so much better with some experienced instructions. Check out their websites for more information.
    http://www.ccwoodturners.org/
    http://www.nutmegwoodturners.com/NWT/
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress